Stephen A. Smith, MS, DVM, PhD
Aquatic Medicine/Fish Health, also Wildlife and Exotic Animal Medicine
Department of Biomedical Sciences & Pathobiology
1990PhD, Veterinary Medical SciencesNorth Carolina State UniversityRaleigh, NC
1986DVMThe Ohio State UniversityColumbus, Ohio
1981MS, EntomologyThe Ohio State UniversityColumbus, Ohio
1975BS, ZoologyThe Ohio State UniversityColumbus, Ohio
- Diseases of finfish
- Immunology and immunotoxicology
- Clinical medicine and radiology
- Horseshoe crab diseases
- Diseases of Alaskan fish
- Normal histology of fishes
2002-presentProfessorVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
1991-presentDirectorAquatic Medicine ProgramVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
1997-2002Associate ProfessorVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
1991-1997Assistant ProfessorVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
1990-1991Postdoctoral Research AssociateCVM, North Carolina State University RaleighNorth Carolina
- International Association for Aquatic Animal Medicine (President, 2002-2003)
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Fisheries Society, Fish Health Section
- European Association of Fish Pathologists
- American Association of Zoo Veterinarians
- American Association of Wildlife Veterinarians
- American Association of Veterinary Parasitologists
- Smith, S.A. and J. Berkson. 2005. Laboratory Culture and Maintenance of the Horseshoe crab (Limulus polyphemus). Lab Animal 34:27-34.
- Pasnik D.J. and S.A. Smith. 2005. Immunogenic and protective effects of a DNA vaccine for Mycobacterium marinum. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology 103:195-206.
- Haskell, S.R.R., K. Carberry-Goh, M.A. Payne and S.A. Smith. 2004. Current status of aquatic species biologics. Journal of the American Veterinary Medicine Association 225:1541-1544.
- Walls, E.A., J. Berkson, and S.A. Smith. 2002. The Horseshoe Crab, Limulus polyphemus: 200 Million Years of Existence, 100 Years of Study. Reviews in Fisheries Science 10:39-73.
- Pasnik, D.J., R. Vemulapalli, S.A. Smith and G.G. Schurig. 2003. A recombinant vaccine expressing a mammalian Mycobacterium sp. antigen is immunostimulatory but not protective in striped bass. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology 95:43-52.
- Smith, S.A. 2002. Non-lethal clinical techniques used in the diagnosis of fish diseases. Journal of the American Veterinary Medicine Association. 220:1203-1206
- Wolf, J.C. and S.A. Smith. 1999. Comparative severity of experimentally-induced mycobacteriosis in striped bass Morone saxatilis and hybrid tilapia Oreochromis spp. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms. 38:191-200.
- Sangmaneedt, S. and S.A. Smith. 1999. Efficacy of various chemotherapeutic agents on the growth of Spironucleus vortens, an intestinal parasite of the freshwater angelfish. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 38:39-46.
- Smith, S.A., K.P. Hughes, and J. Luoma. 2002. Amoebic gill infestation in pallid sturgeon, Scaphirhynchus albus. Bull. Eur. Ass. Fish Pathol. 22(6):400-402.
- Hrubec, T. and S.A. Smith. 1999. Differences between plasma and. serum samples for the evaluation of blood chemistry values in rainbow trout, channel catfish, hybrid tilapias and striped bass. Journal of Aquatic Animal Health. 11:116-122.
- Smith, S.A. 1997. Mycobacterial infections in pet fish. Seminars in Avian and Exotic Pet Medicine 6:40-45.
- Steidinger, K.A., J.M. Burkholder, H.B. Glasgow, C.W. Hobbs, J.K. Garrett, E.W. Truby, E.J. Noga and S.A. Smith. 1996. Pfiesteria piscicida, Gen. et Sp. Nov. (Pfiesteriaceae Fam. Nov.), a new toxic dinoflagellate with a complex life cycle and behavior. Journal of Phycology 32:157-164.