Veterinarians who wish to request a consultation with one of our board-certified specialists should call the Small Animal Hospital reception desk at 540-231-4621.
Referral & Service Forms
Please review the referral procedures before completing the referral form.
While there are various ways to make referrals work for all concerned, these steps usually work best:
- The referring veterinarian discusses referral to the Veterinary Teaching Hospital with the client and provides the client with a completed referral form and any other pertinent information.
The client* or referring veterinarian calls the VTH for an appointment time.*Please note: If the client calls to make the appointment, they will be speaking with our scheduling personnel, not a veterinarian. The scheduling receptionist can, in many cases, give a general cost estimate for common medical appointments and surgical procedures. However, they cannot render opinions regarding current symptoms or what tests and special procedures may be needed once a pet is examined.
- The client brings the referral information with them when they come for their appointment.
- VTH clinicians communicate with the referring veterinarian during the patient's hospitalization or within 24 hours of discharge from the hospital.
- Appropriate case updates are provided to the client until the animal is discharged from the VTH.
- Follow-up on the case from the referring veterinarian to the VTH is appreciated as it improves our ability to teach and better manage cases.
Because the VTH is staffed by faculty who have teaching, research, and administrative responsibilities, referrals will be made with the clinician on duty, unless otherwise directed by a specific clinician. This is true even if you have spoken with the clinician directly on the phone and he/she has recommended that the case be referred to the VTH.