The Small Animal Intensive Care Unit (ICU) provides 24 hour care to critical patients who may be:
- Medical or surgical cases referred by private practitioners or
- Local animals with emergency illnesses or trauma
Patients may be placed in ICU for treatment as simple as requiring eyedrops every hour, to minute-to-minute observations. Extensive monitoring equipment and life support measures, such as IV fluids, heart monitors, and ventilators, are used to assist clinicians in the care of these patients.
The ICU is staffed by Licensed Veterinary Technicians (LVT) and fourth year veterinary students who assist primary care veterinarians in managing emergencies ranging from seizures to cardiac and respiratory arrest.
The ICU operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year.
Intensive Care Unit Personnel
- Amy Alexander-Husband, LVT
- Scylenea Alley, LVT
- Andrea Collins, LVT, VTS(ECC), Manager
- Megan Emenheiser, LVT
- Robin Lester, LVT
- Mary Ridenour, LVT
- Carla Notario, LVT, VTS (Medicine)
- Jennifer Stanley, LVT
- Karen Whitt, LVT