The Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH) Pharmacy supports the care of your companion, equine and farm animals during their stay and when they are visited at your site by our field service veterinarians.
Hours & Contact Information
- Monday - Friday, 7:30 am – 5:30 pm
- Saturday, 8 am - 12 noon
- Closed on Sunday and some University observed holidays. Please call ahead for open holiday hours.
- Refills should be called in at least one business day before pickup.
- If the medication has no refills, needs to be compounded or must be ordered for your animal, the request should be made several days in advance.
- Medications may be sent by overnight service for an additional charge.
About Pharmacy Services
Medications may only be dispensed to clients for patients currently being treated by VTH clinicians.
Products and services include:
- Unit-dose medication for in- hospital patients, optimizing care and reducing waste
- (IV) intravenous fluids and (TPN) parenteral nutrition solutions for patients
- Outpatient prescriptions to maintain the care of patients as they return home
- Compounding specialty prescriptions (the correct size and strength may not be commercially available to treat the range of animals seen at the VTH)
- Compound products used in the hospital by different service areas
- Chemotherapy drugs prepared aseptically by trained staff
- Prepare allergy shots (antigens) on the order of our dermatologist
- Supply OTC (Over the counter) products such as flea preventatives and shampoos
- Maintain medication dispensing machines, providing after hours and emergency access to necessary pharmaceuticals
- Skilled pharmacists that serve as a resource to veterinarians, students, and staff on drug selection, pharmaceutical dosages, drug information, drug interactions and calculations
- Support educational needs of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine students during clinical practice rotations
- Support client and patient needs through drug information and medication counseling to optimize drug therapy outcomes