The Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association (SCAVMA) at the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine (VA-MD Vet Med) is the largest student organization at our school and is the umbrella organization for all other school organizations.
- To promote a friendly relationship among the students enrolled at VA-MD Vet Med.
- To provide additional opportunities for the members to gain knowledge and an understanding of professional ethics and conduct.
- To develop leadership through conducting the chapter’s affairs.
- To make available to members the opportunities offered by the American Veterinary Medical Association to its student chapters.
- To promote a mutually beneficial relationship among the Virginia Veterinary Medical Association (VVMA), the Maryland Veterinary Medical Association (MVMA), the Student American Veterinary Medical Association (SAVMA), the general public, and SCAVMA.
- To provide opportunities for the development of special interests within SCAVMA.
- To act as a governing body for the DVM student organizations at VA-MD Vet Med.
SCAVMA Membership & Benefits
Active membership is open to all full-time veterinary students enrolled in a program of study leading to a DVM from VA-MD Vet Med. Associate membership is open to all students enrolled in graduate programs at VA-MD Vet Med.
SCAVMA members are also eligible for the AVMA-GHLIT Student Health, Life, Disability and Dental Benefits. To learn more, contact Michael P. O’Brien, our AVMA-GHLIT representative, at Michael@obfs.net, 703-654-6050 (office), or 571-238-2236 (cell).
Questions about the chapter?
Allison Smith, SCAVMA President
Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine
245 Duck Pond Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061