Kenneth E. Sullins, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVS
Professor of Equine Surgery
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences
1984Master of Science, SurgeryDepartment of Clinical SciencesColorado State UniversityFort Collins, CO
1976Doctor of Veterinary MedicineColorado State UniversityFort Collins, CO
1974Bachelor of Science (With Distinction), MicrobiologyColorado State UniversityFort Collins, CO
1986Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons
Areas of Speciality
Upper Airway Diagnosis and Surgery
- Resting and Overground Dynamic Endoscopy
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Tumors
- Laser Surgery
- Upper airway
- Laser surgery
- Local delivery of medications
2015 – PresentProfessor of Equine SurgeryLarge Animal Clinical SciencesVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2002 – 2015Professor of SurgeryMarion duPont Scott Equine Medical CenterVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineLeesburg, VA
1988Associate Professor of SurgeryMarion duPont Scott Equine Medical CenterVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineLeesburg, VA
1984Assistant Professor of SurgeryMarion duPont Scott Equine Medical CenterVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineLeesburg, VA
1981 – 1984Resident in Large Animal SurgeryDepartment of Clinical SciencesColorado State UniversityFort Collins, CO
1977 – 1981Private Practice (self-employed)Las Vegas, NM
1976 – 1977Private PracticeChildress Veterinary HospitalMonte Vista, CO
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Association of Equine Practitioners
- American Society of Laser Medicine and Surgery (Past Fellow)
Dr. Sullins’ graduate students indicated by (*).
- Sullins, K. Eq Vet Educ-CC-2015-036 - Surgical approaches for pulmonary granular cell tumours in horses.
- Hart SK*, Barrett JG, Papich M, Sullins KE: Elution of antimicrobials from a cross-linked dextran gel: in vivo quantification. Eq Vet J 2013;45:148-153.
- Hart SK*, Sullins KE: Evaluation of a novel post operative treatment for sinonasal disease in the horse (1996–2007). Eq Vet J 2011;43:24-29.
- Gutierrez-Nibeyro SD*, White NA, II Werpy NM, Tyrrell L, Allen KA, Sullins KE, Mitchell RD. Magnetic resonance imaging findings of desmopathy of the collateral ligaments of the equine distal interphalangeal joint. Vet Rad Ultrasound 2009; 50:21-31.
- Gutierrez-Nibeyro SD*, Sullins KE, Powers BE. Treatment of appendicular osteosarcoma in a horse. Eq Vet Educ 2010; 22:540,.
- Sullins KE. Clinical commentary. Perioral masses in horses. Eq Vet Educ 2007;19:477.
- Henderson CA*, Sullins KE, Brown JA. Transendoscopic laser-assisted ventriculocordectomy in 22 horses with left laryngeal hemiplegia. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2007;231:1868-1872.
- Robinson P, Williams K, Sullins K, et al. Histologic evaluation of the equine larynx after unilateral laser-assisted ventriculocordectomy. Equine Vet J. 2007;39:222-5.
- Robinson P, Derksen F, Stick J, Sullins K, et al. Effects of unilateral laser-assisted ventriculocordectomy in horses with laryngeal hemiplegia. Eq Vet J 2006;38:491-496.
- Sullins KE. Clinical commentary. Endoscopically guided thermocautery and laser removal of an inflammatory polyp associated with chronic otitis externa in a pony. Eq Vet Educ 2006;8:330-332.