Dominique Marie Sawyere, BVSc, MS, DACVS-SA
Clinical Assistant Professor
Small Animal Surgery
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences
2016Masters in Biomedical and Veterinary SciencesVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineBlacksburg, Virginia
2011Bachelor of Veterinary SciencesMassey UniversityPalmerston North, New Zealand
2018–presentClinical Assistant ProfessorVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineBlacksburg, VA
2016-2018Staff SurgeonUpstate Veterinary SpecialistsGreenville, South Carolina
2013-2016Small Animal Surgical ResidentVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineBlacksburg, VA
2012-2013Small Animal Surgical InternVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineBlacksburg, VA
2011-2012Pfizer Small Animal Rotating InternVeterinary Specialist GroupAuckland, New Zealand
Honors & Awards
2015Outstanding Masters Student Poster, 26th annual Research Symposium
2012Companion Animal Society Article of the Year
2010Award for Feline Medicine and Surgery
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Sawyere, DM, Lanz, OI. Dahlgren, LA. Barry, SL. Nichols, AC. Werre, SR. Cytokines and growth factor concentrations in canine autologous conditioned serum. Vet Surg 2016 45(5):582-6.
- Sawyere, DM, Jerram, R. Walker, A. Long-term follow-up of working dogs in New Zealand following pancarpal arthrodesis using dorsal hybrid plating. New Zealand Journal of Veterinary Medicine 2015 1:1-4.
- Sawyere, DM. Caudal occipital malformation in a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. NZVA Companion Animal Society Newsletter. 2012 23(1):20-22.
- Sawyere, DM, Worth, A. Case report: OATS procedure for stifle OCD in a dog. NZVA Companion Animal Society Newsletter. 2011 22(1):20-22.
- Sawyere, DM. Cytokines and growth factors in normal canine autologous conditioned serum. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Thesis defense: May, 2016.
Professional & Research Interests
- Management of canine osteoarthritis
- Management of canine elbow dysplasia
- Regenerative medicine
- Elbow dysplasia