Methods for Requesting IT Support
The IT Support Center is open Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm. You can reach us using any of the following methods. We are closed on University holidays.
VetMed IT Helpdesk Portal
This web-based platform for submitting IT requests is available via the shortcut icon (shown at right) on all Windows computers on the VETMED domain. Mac users should contact the IT Support Center for assistance in creating a shortcut to the Portal page.
Submit a request to the IT Support Center by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use a short and descriptive subject line for the email and concise details in the body of the message.
Call 540-231-2791 from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday, to reach the IT Support Center. If your reach our voicemail, please leave a message with your name, phone number, and a brief description of the problem.
IT Support Center Office
Walk-ins are welcome at the IT Support Center during normal operating hours. Our office is located in the Infectious Disease Research Facility (IDRF) on the first floor, room 127. On occasion, all technicians may be out on service calls. In this case, the emergency number is posted on the door.
What Constitutes an IT Request?
As a general rule, IT Support Center service is available for inquiries and problems dealing with electronic devices that have a processor, a digital display, or somehow connect to a computer. Examples of supported items and systems include:
- State-owned electronic equipment (desktop/laptop computers, cell phones, printers, monitors, etc.)
- Classroom audio/visual equipment (televisions, projectors, etc.)
- Work-related software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, CGI/VISION, Internet browsers, etc.)
- VetMed Intranet update requests and issues
- VetMed SharePoint issues
- VetMed network infrastructure (VETMED2 file server, network connections, PACS imaging server, etc.)
What Does Not Constitute an IT Request?
The list below contains some examples of requests that are often mistaken as IT requests but actually fall under the responsibility of another department:
- Equipment/devices not owned by the State (i.e. personally owned or owned by other organizations)
No support is available for personal devices.
- Electrical power, lighting or HVAC systems
Please contact Virginia Tech Facilities at 540-231-4300.
- Classroom materials
Please contact the Multidiscipline Laboratory (MDL) Office at 540-231-7881.
- Conference room materials
Please contact the administrative contact(s) for the particular room.
- VA-MD Vet Med public website content updates
Please direct requests to the Web Request Form.
NOTE: For problems connecting to or accessing the VA-MD Vet Med public website, you may still contact the IT Support Center via one of the methods listed above.
- When you submit an IT Support Center request via email@example.com, a ticket is automatically created for your request. Anytime an IT Support Technician updates the ticket, you will receive an email notification. The ticketing system is designed so that any replies you send to these emails will be automatically appended to the ticket in our system. Once the ticket has been closed, any replies you send will re-open the ticket and notify the previously assigned technician. As such, it is not necessary to reply with a "Thank you!" message once a ticket is closed, even though we most certainly appreciate the sentiment!
- While it may seem convenient to stop an Information Systems or IT Support Center employee in the hallway to make a request, we ask that you refrain from doing so. It is often the case that the staff member you are talking to is already working on several support calls which makes it difficult to remember all the exact details of your request. In these situations we ask that you use the in-person meeting to remind yourself to submit the request through one of the suggested methods above which helps the IT Support Center to document all the relevant information needed to complete the ticket.
If you have any questions about the information presented on this page, please feel free to contact the IT Support Center.