Kenneth E. Sullins, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVS
Professor of Equine Surgery
Dr. Sullins is a professor of equine surgery at Virginia Tech's Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center. He received a doctor of veterinary medicine in 1976 from Colorado State University and a master of science in surgery from the university in 1984. After working in private practice from 1976 to 1981, Dr. Sullins completed a residency in large animal surgery at Colorado State University from 1981 to 1984. He joined the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center in July 1984 as a founding faculty member and served as assistant professor of surgery. Dr. Sullins achieved Diplomate status with the American College of Veterinary Surgeons in 1986. In 1988, he was promoted to the position of associate professor of surgery, and in 2002, was appointed professor of surgery. Dr. Sullins' research interests include upper airway, laser surgery, tumors, and local delivery of medications. He is a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners, the American Veterinary Medical Association, and Phi Zeta veterinary honor society.
- Hewes C.A., Sullins K.E., Use of Cisplatin-Containing Biodegradable Beads for Treatment of Cutaneous Neoplasia in Equidae: 59 Cases (2000-2004), Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Nov-06.
- Derksen R.P., Stick J., Sullins K., Effects of Unilateral Laser-Assisted Ventriculocordectomy in Horses with Laryngeal Hemiplegia, Equine Veterinary Journal, 2006, Volume 38, Pages 491-496.
- Sullins K., Endoscopically Guided Thermocautery and Laser Removal of an Inflammatory Polyp Associated with Chronic Otitis Externa in a Pony, Equine Veterinary Education, 2006, Volume 8, Pages 330-332.
- Rowe E.L., Sullins K.E., Excision as Treatment of Dermal Melanomatosis in Horses: 11 Cases (1994-2000), Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Jul-04.
- Murray M.J., Hepburn R.J. and Sullins K.E., Preliminary Study of Use of a Polypectomy Snare to Obtain Large Samples of the Equine Gastric Antrum by Endoscopy, Equine Veterinary Journal, 2004, Volume 36, Pages 76-78.
- Sullins K.E., White N.A., Lundin C.S., Dabareiner R. and Gaulin G., Prevention of Ischaemia-Induced Small Intestinal Adhesions in Foals, Equine Veterinary Journal, 2004, Volume 36, Pages 370-375.
- Berry D.B., Sullins K.E., Effects of Topical Application of Antimicrobials and Bandaging on Healing and Granulation Tissue Formation in Wounds of the Distal Aspect of the Limbs in Horses, American Journal Veterinary Research, Jan-03.
- Marble G.P., Sullins K.E., Arthroscopic Removal of Patellar Fracture Fragments in Horses: Five Cases (1989-1998), Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Jun-00.
- Dabareiner R.M., White N.A. and Sullins K.E., Radiographic and Arthroscopic Findings Associated with Subchondral Lucency of the Distal Radial Carpal Bone in 71 Horses, Equine Veterinary Journal, 1996, Volume 28, Pages 93-97.
- Edens L.M., White N.A., Dabareiner R.M., and Sullins K.E., Transrectal Ultrasonographic Diagnosis of an Ileocaecal Intussusception in a Horse, Equine Veterinary Journal, 1996, Volume 28, Pages 81-83.
- Dabareiner R.M. and Sullins K.E., Fracture of the Caudal Medial Femoral Condyle in a Horse, Equine Veterinary Journal, 1993, Volume 25, Pages 75-77.
- Brusie R.W., Sullins K.E., White N.A., Coffin P.C., Parker G.A., Anver M.R. and Rosenberger J.L., Evaluation of Sodium Hyaluronate Therapy in Induced Septic Arthritis in the Horse, Equine Veterinary Journal, 1992, Volume 11, Pages 18-23.
- Hanie E.A., Sullins K.E., Powers B.E. and Nelson P.R., Comparison of Two Grafting Methods in a 4.0-mm Drill Defects in the Third Metacarpal Bone of Horses, Equine Veterinary Journal, 1992, Volume 24, Pages 387-390.
- Hanie E.A., Sullins K.E. and White N.A., Follow-up of 28 Horses with Third Metacarpal Unicortical Stress Fractures Following Treatment with Osetostixis, Equine Veterinary Journal, 1992, Volume 11, Pages 5-9.
- Hanie E.A., Sullins K.E., Powers B.E. and Nelson P.R., Healing of Full-Thickness Cartilage Compared with Full-Thickeness Cartilage and Subchondral Bone Defects in the Equine Third Carpal Bone, Equine Veterinary Journal, 1992, Volume 24, Pages 382-386.
- Brusie R.W., Sullins K.E., Silverman D.G. and Rosenberger J.L., Fluorometric Evaluation of Large and Small Intestinal Ischemia in the Horse, Equine Veterinary Journal, 1989, Volume 21, Pages 358-363.
- Lundin C., Sullins K.E., White N.A., Clem M.F., Debowes R.M. and Pfeiffer C.A., Induction of Peritoneal Adhesions with Small Intestinal Ischemia and Distention in the Foal, Equine Veterinary Journal, 1989.
- Sullins K.E., McIlwraith C.W., Yovich J.V., MacHarg M.A. and Fessler J., Ectopic Ureter Managed by Unilateral Nephrectomy in Two Female Horses, Equine Veterinary Journal, 1988, Volume 20, Pages 463-466.
- Sullins K.E., Heath R.B., Turner A.S. and Stashak T.S., Possible Antebrachial Flexor Compartment Syndrome as a Cause of Lameness in Two Horses, Equine Veterinary Journal, 1987, Volume 19, Pages 147-150.
- Yovich J.V., Stashak T.S., and Sullins K.E., Bilateral Hindlimb Pastern Arthrodesis in a Horse, Equine Veterinary Journal, 1986, Volume 18, Pages 79-81.
- Lavach J.D., Sullins K.E., Roberts S.M., Severin G.A., Wheeler C., and Lueker D.C., BCG Treatment of Periocular Sarcoid, Equine Veterinary Journal, 1985, Volume 17, Pages 445-448.
View an article (PDF) featuring Dr. Sullins' use of laser treatment for horses.