Clinical Diagnostic Laboratory
The Clinical Diagnostic Laboratory at the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center is a full-service laboratory that is essential to the diagnosis, treatment, and management of our critical care patients. Laboratory services are also available for area veterinarians.
We offer a two-hour turnaround for most samples submitted during regular business hours, and 24-hour turnaround for nearly all other samples.
Our team can run the following tests immediately (STAT) for emergency cases:
- complete blood counts (CBCs)
- blood gas analysis
- blood chemical analysis
Click on a thumbnail image to view a larger image.
The clinical laboratory is staffed by technicians with more than 25 years of combined experience in processing and analyzing equine samples. We use state-of-the-art equipment to provide quality and accuracy on all tests. Take advantage of the expertise and resources available in our clinical laboratory to help manage your horses health.
Coggins (Equine Infectious Anemia/EIA)
- The clinical laboratory offers competitively-priced ELISA EIA (Coggins) testing with same-day results, as well as AGID EIA performed Monday through Friday.
Fecal egg counts
- Fecal egg counts determine a horse's risk of shedding parasites.
- We use the McMaster quantitative test to analyze whether your horse is a light, medium, or heavy shedder.
- To order a fecal egg count on a specimen from your horse, download and complete the Fecal Egg Count Request Form and include it with the sample to be tested.
- Bulk discounts on fecal testing are available.
- Samples may be submitted in person, by mail, or via UPS delivery.
Necropsy and cremation
- When needed, a full necropsy facility is available.
- Cremation services are also available upon request.
- Emerging Issues in Equine Parasite Management by Dr. Harold McKenzie
- Equine Health and Pasture Management (PDF) by Dr. Harold McKenzie
- Parasite Control and Resistance (PDF) by Dr. Harold McKenzie
For more information
- For more information, call 703-771-6800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- View the Client Care Packet (PDF) to learn more about the facilities, services, staffing, and policies at the EMC.