Annual Open House
Saturday, April 11, 2015, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
The Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical
Association (SCAVMA) hosts the college's Annual Open House in the
spring each year. The event features a variety of exhibits, demonstrations, seminars, and public tours of the
Veterinary Teaching Hospital.
The purpose of the Open House is to showcase our college, provide information about the veterinary profession and
careers in veterinary medicine, celebrate the role of animals in people's lives, and provide fun and entertainment for
The Open House is free and open to the public. No registration is required. Attendees are encouraged to bring a donation of dog food
or dog toys to benefit local shelter dogs.
Schedule & Directions
- Hospital tours - Tours last approximately one hour and include the hospital and the DVM
student teaching facilities.
- Photo booth - Bring your camera!
- Food drive - Dry and canned food, treats, rawhide bones, and other supplies will be collected to support
dogs in the care of Montgomery County Animal Care & Control.
- Teddy bear surgery clinic - Members of the Class of 2016 repair your favorite stuffed animal.
- Dogs available for adoption - Visit the VA-MD Vet Med Grove from 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., where the Animal Welfare Foster Program will introduce you to dogs that are looking for homes.
- Anatomy display - Members of the Class of 2018 display skeletons and other specimens, including a live, painted horse
located outside the anatomy room.
- Wildlife exhibit - See live animals from the Southwest VA Wildlife Center and Field of Daisies Rabbit Rescue.
- Club and organization displays - Learn about our veterinary student clubs and organizations and purchase merchandise.
- Lectures - Learn about how to prepare a competitive application to veterinary school, how the horse’s gut anatomy
predisposes them to colic, the One Health initiative, opportunities in the field of Food Animal Medicine, and more.
- Demonstrations - Get a closer look at horseshoe making, small animal endoscopy and ultrasound, a Virginia Tech police dog,
electron microscopy, animal autopsy, and more.
- Silent auction
- …and much more!