Small Animal Referrals
Referral & Nutrition Consultation Request Forms
- VTH Medical/Laboratory Referral Form: PDF |
- VTH Radiology Referral Form: PDF |
- Small Animal Nutrition Consultation Request Form:
PDF | Word
While there are various ways to make referrals work for all concerned, these steps usually work best:
- The referring veterinarian discusses referral to the Veterinary Teaching Hospital with the client
and provides the client with a completed referral form and any other pertinent information.
- The client* or referring veterinarian calls the VTH for an appointment time.
*Please note: If the client calls to make the appointment, they will be speaking with our scheduling
personnel, not a veterinarian. The scheduling receptionist can, in many cases, give a general cost
estimate for common medical appointments and surgical procedures. However, they cannot render
opinions regarding current symptoms or what tests and special procedures may be needed once a
pet is examined.
- The client brings the referral information with them when they come for their appointment.
- VTH clinicians communicate with the referring veterinarian during the patient's hospitalization
or within 24 hours of discharge from the hospital.
- Appropriate case updates are provided to the client until the animal is discharged from the VTH.
- Follow-up on the case from the referring veterinarian to the VTH is appreciated as it improves
our ability to teach and better manage cases.
Because the VTH is staffed by faculty who have teaching, research, and administrative responsibilities,
referrals will be made with the clinician on duty, unless otherwise directed by a specific clinician.
This is true even if you have spoken with the clinician directly on the phone and he/she has recommended
that the case be referred to the VTH.
Download the Veterinary Referral Form