Please park your vehicle as per our parking instructions for Large Animal Hospital patients. You will be directed to check in at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital front desk. A member of your Patient Care Team will meet you at the front desk.
Patient Status Updates & Inquiries
Patient Status Updates
A member of your Patient Care Team will call you with a patient status update. These calls are made at the least busy times of the day, which in many cases will be after 5:00 pm. For surgical cases, you will be called after your animal has recovered from anesthesia. In many cases, your surgical Patient Care Team will be in surgery throughout the day, so please anticipate a status call later in the day.
Patient inquiry procedures and considerations
- Inquiries should be placed by calling 540-231-9043.
- Inquiries regarding your hospitalized animal are best placed between 9:30 am and 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Most Patient Care Team members are in clinical rounds in the morning and late afternoon and are unavailable except for emergency phone calls.
- Depending on case load and scheduling, your Patient Care Team may be unavailable for patient status inquiries for periods throughout the day.
All visitation arrangements must be prearranged with a member of your Patient Care Team. We understand and value the bond you have with your animal, but the stress and excitement caused by visitation may be counterproductive to sound case management, particularly in cases of ophthalmic surgery, general surgery and critical care medical cases. Your Patient Care Team will work with you to maximize your contact with your animal relative to its best health care interests.
Fees & Payment
Hospital Outpatient Services
All large animal outpatient services are to be paid in full upon discharge of the patient.
Hospital Inpatient Services
- Clients will receive an "Estimate of Fees" for large animal services requiring an overnight stay before services are rendered.
- All large animal inpatient services require a prepayment or deposit in the amount of half of the "Estimate of Fees" with the remaining balance due at discharge of the patient.
- Credit for the remaining balance over the deposit amount may be granted for up to 60 days to qualified clients upon completion of a credit application and disclosure statement. Finance charges of 0.667% per month or 8% annually will accrue on all unpaid balances that have existed for 30 days or more. A 10% late penalty will be assessed on all account balances 30 days past due. The account may then be referred for collection.
Field service clients will be billed on a monthly basis for services. Any outstanding balance remaining on account after the initial due date will accrue finance charges at the rate of 0.667% per month or 8% annually. A 10% late penalty will be assessed on all account balances 30 days past due.
Please be aware at the time of patient discharge that the Business Office many not know all the charges for which you will be responsible. Therefore, you may be billed by mail for supplemental charges after discharge.
At this time we do not accept Care Credit. Accepted forms of payment include:
- In-person: Cash, personal check, money orders, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover
- Online payments: eCheck, Visa, MasterCard, and American Express
- By phone: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover
Please call our Large Animal Hospital Business Office at 540-231-9043 if you have questions.
Procedures and considerations
- Discharge times and dates should be arranged directly with your Patient Care Team.
- Many discharges require detailed after-care instructions and clients may have a number of questions, so proper scheduling of discharges is essential.
- Please inform your Patient Care Team if you will be running late or need to reschedule your animal’s pick up.
- If you have any post-discharge questions or concerns, please call 540-231-9043.
- Your referring veterinarian will receive (normally by fax) a copy of your discharge instructions.