Equine Reproductive Services
The Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine provides equine reproductive services in our
hospital and on the farm through our equine field service. If you have questions about our services, please
- For in-hospital treatment, please call (540) 231-4621 and select option 5.
- For on-farm treatment, please call (540) 231-9042.
Our on-farm and in-clinic services are not limited to those listed. Please call us for more information.
We are able to assist with farm reproductive cases with-in a 35 mile radius of Blacksburg, Va.
Specifically we can assist with:
- Ultrasound : To determine pregnancy or stage of cycle-- Pregnancy examination can be done either
rectally or trans-abdominally, depending on pregnancy length
- Fetal well-being assessment: Mid to late term assessment of fetus and placenta to examine for problems
that may relate to loss of pregnancy, primarily performed with ultrasonography
- Breeding with fresh, fresh cooled, or frozen semen: We are able to assist in all facets of breeding including
long term frozen semen storage.
- Breeding soundness examination: Uterine culture, cytology and biopsy and reproductive tract examination
- Infertility work-up : We are able to help with mares that are difficult to breed or have lost pregnancies
- Twin reduction – transrectal (14-20 days) or transvaginal (30+ days) reduction
- Semen collection: Providing facilities exist, we can assist with on-farm semen collection and
processing for cooled semen transport.
- Infertility work-up
In addition to cases within a 35-mile radius, we are able to take referral cases from veterinarians on
reproductive issues. In addition to the services listed above, we also offer:
- Twin reduction : Early, mid, and late termination of one fetus in cases of twin pregnancy are possible.
- Embryo transfer
- Embryo transport : Embryos can be shipped across the United States.
- Embryo freezing: We can freeze embryos for later placement in a donor or in a different recipient.
- Superovulation: It is now possible to obtain three or more ovulations from administration of equine
follicle stimulation hormone. When used with embryo transfer and/or embryo freezing, it increases the
efficiency of obtaining embryos.
- High risk pregnancy management : This includes fetal well being assessment and monitoring of
- Ovary removal and transport for oocyte recovery
- Training to phantom for semen collection: Stallions are trained to use an artificial vagina while
mounted on a phantom, a large immovable padded object used to simulate a mare.
- Semen freezing: We offer initial test freezing to determine your stallion’s semen quality post-thaw.
Once optimized, as many doses may be frozen and held indefinitely for you.
- Semen collection: We have an arena, teasing wall, jump mare and phantom to allow for semen
collection. We also have a state-of-the-art reproduction laboratory to allow for semen assessment,
including computerized motility assessments.
- Breeding soundness examination: This includes semen analysis, internal and external reproductive
examinations, and testicular ultrasonography.
- Epididymal sperm retrieval and semen freezing: It is possible to recover semen from the epididymus
(part of testicles) and freeze this semen for later use. This would be important in cases of sudden or
unplanned death where semen collection would not be possible.