The Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine provides neurology services to equine patients in our
hospital and on the farm through our equine field service. If you have questions about our services,
please contact us.
- For in-hospital treatment, please call (540) 231-4621 and select option 5.
- For on-farm treatment, please call (540) 231-9042.
- Neurologic exam to identify deficits and localize area of brain and spinal cord affected
- Radiographs of cervical spine if cervical vertebral instability or cervical vertebral
malformation (CVM/CVI) “wobbler” is suspected
- Blood work to help diagnose cause of disease
- Cerebral spinal tap (CSF), if warranted. In some cases we cannot identify the cause of the
signs based on exam, radiographs or blood work, and we need to obtain a sample of CSF fluid
to submit for testing.
Causes of neurologic disease
Some common causes of neurologic disease are:
- Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis (EPM)
- Cervical Vertebral Malformation/Cervical Vertebral Instability (CVM/CVI), also known as “wobbler”
- Equine Herpes Myeloencephalopathy (EHM)
- West Nile Virus (WNV)
- Eastern Equine Encephalitis