Welcome to the Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association (SCAVMA) at the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine (VMRCVM)! SCAVMA is the largest student organization at our school and is the umbrella organization for all other school organizations. We host monthly president roundtables, organize the annual Open House, and participate in student luncheons with the Dean. We also plan an annual Fall Ball for the school and a fall and spring dog wash. Our chapter also sponsors several awards at the school, including the SCAVMA Distinguished Service Award and SCAVMA Senior Award.
Active membership is open to all full-time veterinary students enrolled in a program of study leading to a DVM from the VMRCVM. Associate membership is open to all students in graduate programs of the VMRCVM.
VMRCVM SCAVMA Objectives
- To promote a friendly relationship among the students enrolled at the VMRCVM.
- To provide additional opportunities for the members to gain knowledge and an understanding of professional ethics and conduct.
- To develop leadership through conducting the chapter’s affairs.
- To make available to the members the opportunities offered by the American Veterinary Medical Association to its Student Chapters.
- To promote a mutually beneficial relationship among the Virginia Veterinary Medical Association (VVMA), the Maryland Veterinary Medical Association (MVMA), the Student American Veterinary Medical Association (SAVMA), the general public, and SCAVMA.
- To provide opportunities for the development of special interests within SCAVMA.
- To act as a governing body for the DVM student organizations at the VMRCVM.
SCAVMA members are also eligible for the AVMA-GHLIT Student Health, Life, Disability and Dental Benefits. Our AVMA-GHLIT Representative is:
Questions about the chapter?
Thomas Rogers-Cotrone, SCAVMA President