History of Alpha Psi
In 1906 veterinary students at Ohio State University saw the benefits of fraternal life but were frustrated by the lack of a national organization for their profession. After much study and work, 22 Juniors and Seniors founded the Alpha Chapter of Alpha Psi Fraternity and by 1915 chapters had been established at 15 schools. Today, there are eleven active Alpha Psi Chapters at veterinary schools across the country.If an honor roll were established for the all time leaders of the veterinary profession in the United States, it would be heavily weighted with Alpha Psi Fraternity Members. Certainly their accomplishments are the result of individual initiative and merit but in some instances leadership and communicative skills were strengthened by their fraternity experience.
The preamble to the Alpha Psi Fraternity constitution reads as follows:
"We, students of the College of Veterinary Medicine of the Ohio State university, in order to promote a stronger bond between the veterinary colleges of the United States and Canada; to create a better feeling among the students of all veterinary colleges, and to infuse a deeper interest in the study of veterinary science, do hereby establish this constitution for the ALPHA PSI, the national veterinary fraternity."
The constitution was written in 1907 and the objectives stated then are appropriate today. Alpha Psi is a social-professional fraternity which restricts its active membership to students who are enrolled in a school of veterinary medicine. It provides an opportunity for the development of lasting friendships between individuals in different classes or schools and is dedicated to the development of these individuals to better serve the veterinary profession.
History of Alpha Psi at the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine
In early 1983, the Pi Chapter of Alpha Psi was founded at VA-MD Vet Med. Two individuals, Jim McDonald and Paul Howard, were instrumental in getting the chapter established. Members of the Lambda Chapter and National Officers of Alpha Psi conducted the first induction establishing 96 charter members of the Pi Chapter.