Two types of flow cytometers are available in our Flow Core Facility.
- The BD FACSARIA is a cell sorter that can also be used as an analyzer. It is equipped with 488nm, 633nm, and
407nm excitation sources and is able to analyze up to eleven parameters (FSC, SSC, and nine fluorescent detectors)
at the same time.
- The Coulter EPICS XL-MCL is a benchtop analyzer with a 488 nm excitation source and is able to analyze up to
six parameters (FSC, SSC, and 4 fluorescent detectors) at once.
An experienced flow cytometry specialist performs the daily operation for all users. Learn more about
laboratory hours and fees.
Three electron microscopes are present in our EM core facility.
- The Carl Zeiss EVO40 Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) can easily produce surface images over a broad range
of magnification (20X to 80,000X) with a resolution of 60 Å.
- The Zeiss 10CA Transmission Electron Microscope is equipped with AMT Advantage GR/HR-B CCD Camera System
(digital imaging system).
- The brand new JEOL JEM 1400 Transmission Electron Microscope is a state of the art microscope equipped with
newly designed Electron Optics and digital CCD camera to produce high resolution and high contrast images.
Learn more about the morphology
Image Analysis is vital to the Stem Cell Initiative
Program. Imaging systems are available for both in vitro and in vivo analysis of tissues, cultured cells and whole animals.
- The Olympus BX51 with Stereo Investigator
from MicroBrightfield allows for outstanding designed-based stereology usage.
- The Zeiss LSM510 Confocal Microscope, located in the Fralin Biotechnology Center and Integrated Life Sciences (ILSB),
allow for quality imaging in thick tissue sections.
- A 2 Photo Microscope is located at the Institute for Critical Technology and Applied Science (ICTAS) building.
- Two Magnet Resonance Imaging (MRI) systems ("lower field" strength 0.3 Tesla Vet-MR ), the Xenogene IVIS 200 Animal
Imaging system and the Toshiba Aquilion 16-slice Computed Tomography (CT) are located at the college.
Centralized general research equipment core laboratories
are located at VMRCVM. The most common utilized equipment includes:
- Bio-Rad Thermal Cycler
- Nanodrop ND1000
- ABI 7300 Real Time PCR
- Bio-Rad iCycler iQ Real Time PCR
- Kodak Image Station
- ELISA Reader
- 2D Gel Electrophoresis
- Spectramax M5 Plate Reader
- TECAN GENios Plate Reader
- CytoFluor 2300 Plate Reader
- Backman Ultracentrifuge
- Moor LDI-2 Doppler Imager System
- Ultrasound System - Acusson Sequois 512 ultrasound and GE Vivid 7 echocardiography
- Scintillation amd Gamma Counters
In addition, the Histology and Pathology core laboratories house the following equipment:
- Sakura Tissue Tek
- Sakura Embedding Station
- Reichert-Jung 2030 Microtomes
- Leica Autostainer XL Autamic Stainer
- Venana Benchmark LT Automated Immunohistochemistry Stainer
Statistical and Technical Support
The Statistical Service Center and IT Support Center are also available to provide services for all researchers.