Elankumaran Subbiah, BVSc, MVSc, PhD, Diplomate ACVM
Department of Biomedical Sciences & Pathobiology
Center for Molecular Medicine and Infectious Disease
1996PhD, Veterinary MicrobiologyMadras Veterinary College
1989MVSc, Veterinary MicrobiologyMadras Veterinary College
1984BVSc, Veterinary MedicineMadras Veterinary College
2003Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Microbiologists, Virology
Broad Research Interests:
- Negative strand RNA viruses, their structure and function, pathogenesis, and control of diseases produced by them
- RNA virotherapy of invasive tumors
- Development of novel, non-invasive immunization strategies for control of viral diseases
- Emerging viral diseases
Current Research Areas:
- Develop recombinant Newcastle disease virus (NDV) as an oncolytic agent
- Molecular basis of interspecies transmission of influenza A viruses with emphasis on swine influenza virus
- Viral vectored vaccines for emerging viral diseases
2012 – PresentAssociate ProfessorBiomedical Sciences & PathobiologyCenter for Molecular Medicine and Infectious DiseaseVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2006 – 2012Assistant ProfessorBiomedical Sciences & PathobiologyCenter for Molecular Medicine and Infectious DiseaseVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2004 – 2006Research Assistant ProfessorVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineUniversity of MarylandCollege Park, MD
1999 – 2004Faculty Research AssociateCollege of Agriculture and Natural ResourcesVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineUniversity of MarylandCollege Park, MD
1989 – 1999Job TitleName of DepartmentName of InstitutionCity, ST, USA
1987 – 1989Assistant ProfessorCentral University LaboratoryCenter for Animal Health StudiesTamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University
1984 – 1987Assistant ManagerTamil Nadu Co-operative Milk Producer's Union Ltd.Veterinary Medicine - Veterinary Services
- American Association of Veterinary Immunologists
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Avian Pathologists
- American College of Veterinary Microbiologists
- American Society for Virology
- American Association of Cancer Research
- American Geophysical Union
- Elankumaran, S., D. D. Rockemann and S. K. Samal. 2006. Newcastle disease virus exerts oncolysis both by intrinsic and extrinsic caspase-dependent pathways of cell death Journal of Virology 80: 7522-7534.
- DiNapoli, J. M., A. Kotelkin, L. Yang, S. Elankumaran, B.R. Murphy, S. K. Samal, P. L. Collins, A. Bukreyev. 2007. Newcastle disease virus, a highly host-range-restricted virus, as a vaccine vector for intranasal immunization against emerging pathogens. Proceeding of the National Academy of Science 104: 9788-9793.
- Dinapoli, J.M, L. Yang, Suguitan, A Jr, S. Elankumaran, D. W. Dorward, B. R. Murphy, S. K. Samal, P. L. Collins, and A. Bukreyev. 2007. Immunization of primates with a Newcastle disease virus-vectored vaccine via the respiratory tract induces a high titer of serum neutralizing antibodies against highly pathogenic avian influenza virus. Journal of Virology 81:11560-11568.
- Kishimoto TK, K. Viswanathan, T. Ganguly, S. Elankumaran, S. Smith, K. Pelzer, J. C. Lansing, N. Sriranganathan, G. Zhao, Z. Galcheva-Gargova, A. Al-Hakim, G. S. Bailey, B. Fraser, S. Roy, T. Rogers-Cotrone, L. Buhse, M. Whary, J. Fox, M. Nasr, G. J. Dal Pan, Z. Shriver, R. S. Langer, G. Venkataraman, K. F. Austen, J. Woodcock, R. Sasisekharan. 2008. Contaminated Heparin Associated with Adverse Clinical Events and Activation of the Contact System. New England Journal of Medicine 358: 2457-2467.
- Qiao, D., B.H. Janke. S. Elankumaran. 2010. Complete genome sequence and pathogenicity of two swine parainfluenzavirus 3 isolates from pigs in the United States. Journal of Virology 84: 686-694.
- Elankumaran, S., V. Chavan, D. Qiao, R. Shobana, G. Moorkanat and S. K. Samal. 2010. Type I interferon sensitive recombinant Newcastle disease virus for oncolytic virotherapy. Journal of Virology 84: 3835-3844. (5.15). PMID: 20147405
- Yang, W. S. Elankumaran and L. Marr. 2011. Concentrations and size distributions of airborne influenza A viruses measured indoors at a health centre, a day-care centre and on aeroplanes. Journal of Royal Society Interface 8: 1176-1184.
- Biswas, M., S. R. Kumar, A. Allen, W. Yong, R. Nimmanapalli, S. K. Samal and S. Elankumaran. 2012. Cell type specific innate immune response to oncolytic Newcastle disease virus. Viral Immunology. 25 (4): 268-276 (Journal Cover Art).
- Biswas, M., J. B. Johnson, S. R. Kumar, G. D. Parks and S. Elankumaran. 2012. Incorporation of host complement regulatory proteins into Newcastle disease virus enhances complement evasion. Journal of Virology September 12 (Epub 2012 Sep 12).
- Yang, W. S. Elankumaran and L. C. Marr. 2012. Relationship between humidity and Influenza A viability in droplets and implications for Influenza's seasonality. PLoS One. 2012;7 (10): e46789. (Epub 2012 Oct 3).