Megan Shepherd, DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVN
Clinical Assistant Professor
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences
2012Doctor of PhilosophyBiomedical and Veterinary SciencesVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2006Doctor of Veterinary MedicineVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2002Bachelor of Science, BiologyVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2013Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Nutrition
Research & Clinical Interests
- Relationship between nutrition and health and the dynamic that gut microbes provide to this relationship.
- Obesity treatment and prevention.
2012 – PresentClinical Assistant Professor, NutritionLarge Animal Clinical SciencesVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2008 – 2012Job TitleName of DepartmentName of InstitutionCity, ST, USA
2007 – 2008Associate VeterinarianDamascus Equine AssociatesDamascus, MD
2006 – 2007Intern in Equine Private PracticeDamascus Equine AssociatesDamascus, MD
- American Academy of Veterinary Nutrition
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Virginia Veterinary Medical Association
- Shepherd, ML, MA Ponder, AO Burk, SC Milton, WS Swecker. Fibre digestibility, abundance of faecal bacteria and plasma acetate concentrations in overweight adult mares. J Nutr Sci 2014; 3(e10).
- Husen, Z, H Wang, M Shepherd, K Wen, G Li, X Yang, J Kocher, E Giri-Rachman, A Dickerman, R Settlage, L Yuan. Probioics and virulent human rotavirus modulate the transplanted human gut microbiota in gnotobiotic pigs. ISME J 2014; 6(39).
- Shepherd, ML, WS Swecker, MA Ponder. Characterization of the fecal bacteria communities of forage-fed horses by pyrosequencing of the 16S rRNA V4 gene amplicons. FEMS Letters 2012;326:62-68.
- Shepherd ML, RS Pleasant, MV Crisman, SR Were, SC Milton, WS Swecker. Effects of High & Moderate Non-Structural Carbohydrate Hay on Insulin, Glucose, Triglyceride, and Leptin Concentrations in Overweight Arabian Geldings. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr 2012; 96:428-235.