Bess J. Pierce, DVM, MZS, Diplomate ABVP, Diplomate ACVIM, Diplomate ACVSMR
Center for Public and Corporate Veterinary Medicine
Department of Population Health Sciences
2010Animals and Human Health: A Certificate in Animal Assisted Therapy Activities and LearningGraduate School of Social WorkUniversity of DenverDenver, CO
2008Canine Rehabilitation Therapy Certificate ProgramCanine Rehabilitation InstituteFlorida
2005Veterinary Basic Acupuncture CourseInternational Veterinary Acupuncture Society
1992Doctor of Veterinary MedicineAuburn UniversityAuburn, AL
1990MZS, Wildlife BiologyAuburn UniversityAuburn, AL
1986BS, BiologyTulane UniversityNew Orleans, LA
- American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation, Canine Specialty
- American Board of Veterinary Practitioners, Canine/Feline Specialty
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Small Animal Internal Medicine
- Canine sports medicine and rehabilitation
- Human-animal bond and interactions
2014 – PresentAssociate ProfessorCenter for Public and Corporate Veterinary MedicineVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2007 – 2014Associate ProfessorCommunity PracticeVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2011 – PresentDirectorVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2013 – PresentSenior VeterinarianColonel, Veterinary Corps, US Army ReservePublic Health Command Region – EuropeLandstuhl, Germany
2007 – 2013DIMA DirectorColonel, Veterinary Corps, US Army ReserveDoD Military Working Dog Veterinary ServiceSan Antonio, TX
1992 – 2007Active Military DutyUS Army Veterinary Corps
2006 – 2007National Capital District Veterinary CommandFort Belvoir, VA
2003 – 2006Chief, Internal Medicine and Outpatient ClinicsDoD Military Working Dog Veterinary ServiceSan Antonio, TX
2000 – 2003Chief VeterinarianJapan District Veterinary CommandOkinawa Branch
1997 – 2000Resident in Small Animal Internal MedicineCollege of Veterinary Medicine, UFGainesville, FL
1994 – 1997Staff VeterinarianOkinawa Branch Veterinary ServicesOkinawa, Japan
1992 – 1994Chief VeterinarianEdwards Branch Veterinary ServicesEdwards Air Force Base, CA
- American College of Sports Medicine
- International Association for Veterinary Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Veterinary Dental Society
- American Association of Human-Animal Bond Veterinarians
- Jones J, Tucker T, Tan J, Pierce B, et al. Improving understanding of early behavioral indicators of lumbosacral disease in working dogs using 3d visualization of skeletal movements during working tasks: feasibility study. Journal of Veterinary Behavior, (20 March 2013) 1-7.
- Jones J, Tan J, Tucker T, Foxworth J, Long B, Pierce B, Harper T. Whole body CT, motion capture, and 3D computer animation findings in three working dogs with early onset lower back pain. In: Abstracts of the 7th International Working Dog Conference. Journal of Veterinary Behavior Volume 2012, 7(1): 56.
- Kiss CM and Pierce BJ. The Rational Use of Screening Tests in Senior Wellness Programs. NAVC Clinician’s Brief, May, 2010.
- JC Jones, JC Tan, TJ Tucker, BJ Pierce, et.al. Feasibility for Using Multi-slice CT, Motion Capture, and 3D Computer Animation to Model Joint Movements in Working Dogs. Poster session, American College of Veterinary Radiology Annual Forum, October 2009.
- Pierce BJ. Physical Rehabilitation and Acupuncture As Tools Of Multimodal Pain Management In Working Dogs. Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research. Nov/Dec 2009 Volume 4(6): 243-244.
- Pierce BJ. Physical Conditioning and Injury Prevention for the Working Dog. Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research. Nov/Dec 2009 Volume 4(6):250-251.
- Thomas T, Lascelles D, Roe S, Marcellin D, Brosey B. Comparison of measurements obtained by use of an electrogoniometer and a universal plastic goniometer for the assessment of joint motion in dogs. Am J Vet Research, 2006; 67(12):1974-1979.