Xin M. Luo, Credentials
2006PhD, ImmunologyPennsylvania State University - University ParkUniversity Park, PA
2001MS, Nutritional SciencesPennsylvania State University - University ParkUniversity Park, PA
1998Biochemistry & Molecular BiologyPeking UniversityChina
The research interests in the Luo Laboratory are immunological and microbial regulation of autoimmunity and immunodeficiency. On the immunological side, we are interested in the roles of dendritic cells in inflammation; while on the microbial side, we focus on how commensal bacteria in the gut affect the host immune system, and vice versa. We utilize murine models and human patient samples to study various diseases including systemic lupus erythematosus and primary immunodeficiencies.
2012 – PresentAssistant ProfessorBiomedical Sciences & PathobiologyVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
Sept. – Dec. 2011Scientist IICell Signaling Technology
2010 – 2011Research ScientistDivision of BiologyCalifornia Institute of Technology
2005 – 2010Postdoctoral FellowDivision of BiologyCalifornia Institute of TechnologyMentor: David Baltimore (Nobel Laureate)
- American Association of Immunologists (AAI)
- Zhang H, Luo XM (2015) Control of commensal microbiota by the adaptive immune system. Gut Microbes 6(2):156-60.
- Liao X, Ren J, Wei CH, Ross AC, Cecere TE, Jortner BS, Ahmed SA, Luo XM. (2015) Paradoxical effects of all-trans-retinoic acid on lupus-like disease in the MRL/lpr mouse model. PLoS One. 10(3):e0118176.
- Zhang H, Sparks JB, Karyala SV, Settlage R, Luo XM. (2014) Host adaptive immunity alters gut microbiota. ISME Journal 9(3):770-81.
- Zhang H, Liao X, Sparks JB, Luo XM. (2014) Dynamics of gut microbiota in autoimmune lupus. Applied Environmental Microbiology 80(24):7551-60.
- Luo XM, Lei MYY. (2012) Recombination activating gene-2 regulates CpG-mediated interferon-alpha production in mouse bone marrow-derived plasmacytoid dendritic cells. PLoS One 7(10): e47952.
- Yusuf D, et al. (2012) The Transcription Factor Encyclopedia. Genome Biology 13(3): R24.
[Luo XM is a co-author.]
- Luo XM, Lei MYY, Feidi RA, West AP, Balazs AB, Bjorkman PJ, Yang L, Baltimore D. (2010) Dimeric 2G12 as a potent protection against HIV-1. PLoS Pathogens 6(12): e1001225.
- Luo XM, Maarschalk E, O'Connell RM, Wang P, Yang L, Baltimore D. (2009) Engineering human hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells to produce a broadly neutralizing anti-HIV antibody after in vitro maturation to human B lymphocytes. Blood 113(7): 1422-1431.
- Luo XM, Ross AC. (2006) Retinoic acid exerts dual regulatory actions on the expression and nuclear localization of interferon regulatory factor-1. Experimental Biology and Medicine 231(5): 619-631.
- Luo XM, Ross AC. (2005) Physiological and receptor-selective retinoids modulate interferon-gamma signaling by increasing the expression, nuclear localization, and functional activity of interferon regulatory factor-1. Journal of Biological Chemistry 280(43): 36228-36236.