Tanya LeRoith, DVM, PhD, Diplomate, ACVP
Clinical Associate Professor
Department of Biomedical Sciences & Pathobiology
2005PhDMicrobiology/PathologyWashington State UniversityPullman, WA
1999DVMVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
1994BS, Animal ScienceUniversity of MarylandCollege Park, MD
2006Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists (Anatomic Pathology)
- Animal models of infectious disease
- Viral immunology
- Comparative pathology
2013 – PresentClinical Associate ProfessorAnatomic PathologyDepartment of Biomedical Sciences & PathobiologyVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineBlacksburg, VA
2005 – PresentAssistant ProfessorAnatomic PathologyDepartment of Biomedical Sciences & PathobiologyVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineBlacksburg, VA
1999 – 2005Graduate Student and ResidentAnatomic PathologyDepartment of Veterinary Microbiology and PathologyWashington State UniversityPullman, WA
June – Aug. 1997Zweig Foundation FellowCollege of Veterinary MedicineCornell UniversityIthaca, NY
June – Aug. 1996Student InternNIH/NCIBethesda, MD
May – July 1995PreIRTA FellowNIH/NCIBethesda, MD
July – Aug. 1994Student InternNIH/NCRR Primate UnitBethesda, MD
June – Aug. 1992Student InternNIH/NEIBethesda, MD
June – Aug. 1991Student InternNIH/NEIBethesda, MD
- Charles Louis Davis Foundation
- American Society for Microbiology
- American College of Veterinary Pathologists
- American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians
Honors & Awards
2006AdvanceVT Seed Grant Recipient
2005Harriet B. Rigas Award for Outstanding Woman in Graduate Studies at the Doctorate Level
2004Charles L. Davis Foundation Student Scholarship Award
2002 – 2005NIH Mentored Clinical Scientist Developmental Award (K08) Fellow
2000 – 2002Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) Fellow
- “Development and Validation of a Negative Strand-Specific RT-PCR Assay for Detection of a Chicken Strain of Hepatitis E Virus: Identification of Non-Liver Replication Sites” P. Billam, F.W. Pierson, W. Li, T. LeRoith, R. Duncan, and X.J. Meng. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, Vol. 46, 2008.
- “Glucagonoma-associated necrolytic dermatitis in a dog.” K. Zimmerman, S. Clark, K. Hill, P. Laverty, A. Irizarry, T. LeRoith, and D. DeNicola. Veterinary Medicine, Vol. 103, No. 3, 2008.
- “The Babesia bovis Merozoite Surface Antigen 1 hypervariable region induces surface-reactive antibodies that block merozoite invasion.” T. LeRoith, S.J. Berens, K.A. Brayton, S.A. Hines, W.C. Brown, J. Norimine, T.F. McElwain. Infection and Immunity. Vol. 74, Issue 6, 2006.
- “Babesia bovis Merozoite Surface Antigen 1 (MSA-1) sequence variation and immunologic cross reactivity among vaccine strains and vaccine breakthrough isolates.” T. LeRoith, K.A. Brayton, J.B. Molloy, R.E. Bock, S.A. Hines, A.E. Lew, T.F. McElwain. Infection and Immunity. Vol. 73, Issue 9, 2005.
- “Intergenic regions in the Rhoptry Associated Protein–1 (rap-1) locus promote exogenous gene expression in Babesia bovis.” C.E. Suarez, G.H. Palmer, T. LeRoith, M. Florin-Christensen, B. Crabb, T.F. McElwain. International Journal for Parasitology Vol 34, Issue 10, 2004.
- "The Effects of Growth Hormone and Insulin-Like Growth Factor I on the Immune System of Aged Female Monkeys." D. LeRoith, J. Yanowski, E.P. Kaldjian, E.S. Jaffe, T. LeRoith, K. Purdue, B.D. Cooper, R. Pyle, W. Adler. Endocrinology Vol. 137, no. 3, 1996.