Bernard S. Jortner, VMD, MS, Diplomate, ACVP
Co-director, Laboratory for Neurotoxicity Studies
Department of Biomedical Sciences & Pathobiology
1969NIH, NeuropathologyYale UniversityNew Haven, CT
1966MS, Comp. PathologyUniversity of CTStorrs, CT
1960 – 1962Residency, PathologyBronx, NY Veterans Hospital
1958VMD, Veterinary MedicineUniversity of PennsylvaniaPhiladelphia, PA
1963Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists
- Dr. Jortner is interested in the neuropathological effects of toxins, in particular that of organophosphate compounds. Methods of study include light microscopy (with a focus on use of epoxy resin embedded tissue sections to allow high resolution study), morphometrics, electron microscopy and immunohistochemistry.
- In collaboration with neurotoxicologist Dr. Marion Ehrich, Dr. Jortner has studied effects of heavy metals, solvents and in particular the delayed neurotoxicity of organophosphates. Their approach to the pathology of these states has employed high resolution light microscopy, transmission electron microscopy, immunohistochemistry (at the light and electron microscopic levels) and morphometry.
- Other interests include pathological effects of toxins on tissues besides the nervous system and peripheral nerve pathology.
2010 – PresentProfessor EmeritusVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
1980 – 2010Professor of PathologyVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
1971 – 1980Associate Professor of PathologyUniversity of Medicine and Dentistry of New JerseyNew Jersey Medical SchoolNewark, NJ
1966 – 1971Assistant Professor of PathologyYale University School of MedicineNew Haven, CT
- American Association of Neuropathologists
- American Society for Investigative Pathology
- International Academy of Pathology
- American College of Veterinary Pathologists
- Society of Toxicologic Pathologists
- International Brain Research Organization
- Society for Neuroscience
- Society of Toxicology
- Peripheral Nerve Society
- Jortner BS. The return of the dark neuron. A histological artifact complicating contemporary neurotoxicologic evaluation. NeuroToxicology 27:628-634, 2006.
- BS Jortner, SK Hancock, J Hinckley, L Flory, L Colby, L Tobias, L Williams, M Ehrich. Neuropathological studies of rats following multiple exposure to tri-ortho-tolyl phosphate, chlorpyrifos and stress. Toxicologic Pathology 33, 378-385. 2005.
- D.S. Barber, M.F. Ehrich and B.S. Jortner. The effect of stress on the temporal and regional distribution of uranium in rat brain after acute uranyl acetate exposure. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health 68, 1-13, 2005.
- Lo Pachin R.M., Jortner B.S., Reid, M., Das, S.: g-Diketone central neuropathy: quantitative morphometric analysis of axons in rat spinal cord white matter regions and nerve roots. Toxicol. Applied Pharmacol. 193:29-46, 2003.