Robert S. Gilley, DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVS
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences
2002Doctor of Philosophy: Comparative Orthopedics/Tissue EngineeringUniversity of Minnesota, College of Veterinary MedicineSt. Paul, MN
1995Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (High Honors)University of Florida, College of Veterinary MedicineGainesville, FL
2002 - American College of Veterinary Surgeons
2012-presentAssociate Professor of SurgeryDepartment of Small Animal Clinical SciencesVA-MD College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2009-2012Surgical Specialist in Private Practice
2002-2009Assistant Professor of Orthopedic SurgeryUniversity of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary MedicinePhiladelphia, PA
1996-1999Resident in Small Animal SurgeryCollege of Veterinary MedicineUniversity of MinnesotaSt Paul, MN
1995-1996Intern in Small Animal Medicine and SurgeryThe Animal Medical CenterNew York, NY
Honors & Awards
2007Class of 2009 Outstanding Faculty Member Teaching AwardUniversity of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
2006Class of 2008 Outstanding Faculty Member Teaching AwardUniversity of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
2004Carl Norden-Pfizer Distinguished Teacher AwardUniversity of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
2004Class of 2004 Outstanding Faculty Member Teaching AwardUniversity of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
- Veterinary Orthopedic Society
- Phi Zeta Honor Society of Veterinary Medicine, Upsilon Chapter
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Franklin S.P., Gilley R.S., Palmer R.H., Meniscus Injury in Dogs with Cranial Cruciate Ligament Rupture, Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian, October 2010.
- Galban E.M., Long S.N., Gilley R.S. Surgical stabilization of an occipito-atlanto-axial malformation in an adult dog, Vet Surg 39: 1001-1004, 2010.
- Java M.A., Drobatz K.J., Gilley R.S., Long S.N., Kushner L.I., King L.G. Incidence and risk factors for post-anesthetic aspiration pneumonia in dogs anesthetized for diagnosis and/or treatment of intervertebral disc disease (ivdd), JAVMA 235: 281-287, 2009.
- Gilley R.S., Wallace L.J., Bourgeault C.A., Kidder L.S., Bechtold J.E. OP-1 augments glucocorticoid inhibited fracture healing in a rat fracture model. Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research, March 2009.
- Gilley R.S., Beason D.P., Boston R.C., Snyder D.M., Radin A., Kapatkin A.S., Smith G.K. Soslowsky L.J. External Fixator Clamp Reuse Degrades Clamp Mechanical Performance. Vet Surg 38: 530-536, 2009.
- Lewis J.R, Boudrieau R.J., Reiter A.M., Seeherman H.J., Gilley R.S. Mandibular reconstruction after gunshot trauma in a dog by use of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2. JAVMA, 233:10, 2008.
- Kapatkin A.S., Arbittier G., Kass P.H., Gilley R.S., Smith G.K. Kinetic gait analysis of healthy dogs on two different surfaces. Vet Surg 36: 605-608, 2007.
- Bergh M.S., Gilley R.S., Shofer F.S., Kapatkin A.S. Complications and radiographic findings following cemented total hip replacement: A retrospective evaluation of 97 dogs. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol, 19: 172-179, 2006.
- Capaldo F., Gilley R.S., Kapatkin A., Diagnostic and Surgical Applications of Arthroscopy in the Dog (PART II: Hindlimb Joint Diseases), Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian, 27: 596-611, 2005.
- Capaldo F., Kapatkin A, Gilley R.S. Diagnostic and Surgical Applications of Arthro-scopy in the Dog (PART I: General Applications and Forelimb Joint Diseases),Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian, 27: 580-594, 2005.