Linda A. Dahlgren, DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVS
Large Animal Surgery
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences
2003PhD, Comparative Biomedical ScienceCornell University
1996Master of Science, Veterinary MedicineIowa State University
1989Doctor of Veterinary MedicineWashington State University
1985AB, BiologyBowdoin College
1997Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Tendon biology and healing
- Wound healing
- Tissue Engineering
- Mesenchymal stem cells
2011 – PresentAssociate Professor, Large Animal SurgeryLarge Animal Clinical SciencesVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2004 – 2011Assistant Professor, Large Animal SurgeryLarge Animal Clinical SciencesVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2002 – 2004Postdoctoral Research AssociateComparative Orthopaedics LaboratoryDepartment of Clinical SciencesCornell UniversityIthaca, NY
2003Consulting Equine SurgeonDepartment of Clinical SciencesMississippi State UniversityMississippi State, MS
1997 – 2002PhD CandidateComparative Orthopaedics LaboratoryDepartment of Clinical SciencesCornell UniversityIthaca, NY
1995 – 1997Instructor, Equine SurgeryDepartment of Veterinary Clinical SciencesIowa State UniversityAmes, IA
1992 – 1995Resident in Equine SurgeryDepartment of Veterinary Clinical SciencesIowa State UniversityAmes, IA
1992Intern in Equine Medicine and SurgeryPilchuck Veterinary HospitalSnohomish, Washington
1991Intern in Equine Medicine and SurgeryAlamo Pintado Equine Medical CenterLos Olivos, CA
1990 – 1991Associate Veterinarian, Large Animal ClinicOak Harbor, WA
1989 – 1990Intern in Equine Medicine and SurgeryDepartment of Veterinary Clinical SciencesKansas State UniversityManhattan, KS
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Veterinary Orthopedic Society
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Association of Equine Practitioners
- Dahlgren LA, Nixon AJ. Cloning and expression of equine insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in normal equine tendon. Am J Vet Res 2005;66:300-306.
- Dahlgren LA, Nixon AJ. Cloning and expression of type III collagen in normal and injured tendons of horses. Am J Vet Res 2005;66:1-5.
- Dahlgren LA, Mohammed HO, Nixon AJ. Temporal expression of growth factors and matrix molecules in healing tendinitis lesions. J Orthop Res 2005;23:84-92.
- Dahlgren LA, van der Meulen MCH, Bertram JEA, Starrak GS, Nixon AJ. Insulin-like growth factor-I improves cellular and molecular aspects of healing in a collagenase-induced model of flexor tendinitis. J Orthop Res 2002;20:910-919.
- Dahlgren LA, Nixon AJ, Brower-Toland BD. Effects of β-aminopriopionitrile on equine tendon metabolism and on effects of insulin-like growth factor-I on matrix production by equine tenocytes. Am J Vet Res 2001;62:1557-1562.
- Dahlgren LA, Rosenbusch RF, Booth LC. Development of an in vitro model for the study of the response of equine tendon fibroblasts to injury and medication. Vet Comp Orthop Tramatol 1997;10:6-11.
- Dahlgren LA, Rosenbusch RF, Booth LC. The effect of polysulfated glycosaminoglycan on production of proteoglycan by equine tendon fibroblasts in monolayer culture. Vet Comp Orthop Tramatol 1998;11:1-5.