Virginia Kiefer Corrigan, DVM, MPH, Diplomate ABVP
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences
2016Master of Public HealthVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2010Doctor of Veterinary MedicineThe University of Tennessee College of Veterinary MedicineKnoxville, TN
2006BA, Zoology, Minor in Neuroscience, Magna Cum LaudeMiami UniversityOxford, OH
2015 - American Board of Veterinary Practitioners, Canine/Feline Practice
Professional & Research Interests
- Advances in Small Animal Medicine/Surgery
- Human- Animal Bond Studies
- Public Health
- Veterinary Medical Education
- Veterinarian-Client Communications
2016-presentAssistant Professor, Community PracticeVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineBlacksburg, VA
2013-2016Resident: ABVP (Canine/Feline), MPH Candidate, emphasis on Human-Animal Bond studiesVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineBlacksburg, VA
2011-2013Associate Veterinarian, Small Animal General Practice and EmergencyAnimal Medical HospitalCharlotte, NC
2010-2011Intern, Small Animal Medicine, Surgery, and EmergencyVCA Alameda East Veterinary HospitalDenver, CO
Honors & Awards
2012-2013AVMA Future Leaders Program Member
2009Phi Zeta Honor Society
2008John C. New, Jr. Award for Promotion of the Human- Animal Bond
2008Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
2008Merck Award for Student Leadership
2007Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society for Agriculture
2006Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Association of Public Health Veterinarians
- Corrigan, V.K., Legendre, A.M., Wheat, L.J., Mullis, R., Johnson, B., Bemis, D.A. and Cepero, L. (2016), Treatment of Disseminated Aspergillosis with Posaconazole in 10 Dogs. J Vet Intern Med, 30: 167–173. doi:10.1111/jvim.13795.
- Kiefer VR, et. al. Cultural Competence in Veterinary Practice. J Am Vet Med Assoc. Vol 243, No. 3, August 2013. In Press.
- Newkirk KM, Van Amstel SR, Kiefer VR. Lipid Emboli in a Vietnamese Pot-Bellied Pig (Sus Scofra). Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee, Knoxville TN 37996, USA. V Vet Diagn Invest, Vol. 24, Number 3, May 2012.
- Castro JR, Adair HS 3rd, Radecki SV, Kiefer VR, Elliot SB, Longhofer SL. Effects of domperidone on digitallaminar microvascular blood flow in clinically normal adult horses. Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee, Knoxville TN 37996, USA. Am J Vet Res. 2010 Mar, 71 (3): 281-7.