Thomas E. Cecere, DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVP
Department of Biomedical Sciences & Pathobiology
2012PhD, Viral ImmunologyVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2008MSVM, Anatomic PathologyNorth Carolina State UniversityRaleigh, NC
2005Doctor of Veterinary MedicineVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2001BS, BiochemistryVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
1999Associate of ScienceVirginia Western Community CollegeRoanoke, VA
2008Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists (Anatomic Pathology)
- Swine infectious diseases
- Microbial immunology
- Diagnostic pathology
2012 – PresentAssistant Professor of Anatomic PathologyBiomedical Sciences & PathobiologyVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2009 – 2012Fellow, NIH T32 Animal Model Research for Veterinarians ProgramVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2008 – 2009Virginia Tech Cunningham Doctoral ScholarVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechBlacksburg, VA
2005 – 2008Anatomic Pathology ResidencyNorth Carolina State University College of Veterinary MedicineRaleigh, NC
- American College of Veterinary Pathologists
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians
- Virginia Veterinary Medical Association
- Charles Louis Davis Foundation for the Advancement of Veterinary and Comparative Pathology
- Cecere TE, Todd SM, LeRoith T. Regulatory T cells in arterivirus and coronavirus infections: do they protect against or enhance disease? Viruses. 2012 May; 4(5): 833-46.
- Cecere TE, Meng, XJ, Pelzer KD, Todd SM, Beach NM, Ni YY, LeRoith T. Co-infection of porcine dendritic cells with porcine circovirus type 2a (PCV2a) and genotype II porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV) induces CD4+CD25+FoxP3+ T cells in vitro. 2012. Veterinary Microbiology – in press.
- Smith EA, Kumar S, Deventhiran J, Cecere T, LeRoith T, McGilliard M, Elankumaran S, Mullarky I. A Time Course for Susceptibility to Staphylococcus aureus Respiratory Infection during Influenza in a Swine Model. Influenza Research and Treatment, Volume 2011, doi:10.1155/2011/846910.
- LeRoith T, Hammond S, Todd SM, Ni Y, Cecere T, Pelzer KD. A modified live PRRSV vaccine and the pathogenic parent strain induce regulatory T cells in pigs naturally infected with Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology. 2011 Apr 15;140(3-4):312-6.
- Brown DL, Van Winkle T, Cecere T, Rushton S, Brachelente C, Cullen JM. Congenital hepatic fibrosis in 5 dogs. Veterinary Pathology. 2010 Jan;47(1):102-7.
- J. E. Carter, J. L. Tarigo, W. Vernau, T. E. Cecere, R. L. Hovis, S. E. Suter. Erythrophagocytic low-grade extranodal T-cell lymphoma in a cat. Veterinary Clinical Pathology. 2008 Dec;37(4):416-21.
- Hill TL, Breitschwerdt EB, Cecere T, Vaden S. Concurrent Hepatic Copper Toxicosis and Fanconi's syndrome in a dog. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2008 Jan-Feb; 22(1):219-22.