Thomas Caceci, PhD
1980Ph.D.Georgetown UniversityWashington, DC
1969A.B.Kenyon CollegeGambier, Ohio
- Aquatic animal structure & function
- Antifreeze peptides
- Web-based teaching and learning development
1987 PresentAssociate ProfessorVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineBlacksburg, VA
1982 PresentAssistant ProfessorCollege of Veterinary MedicineTexas A&M UniversityCollege Station, TX
1980 1982Research FellowGeorge Washington University Medical CenterWashington, DC
- American Association of Veterinary Anatomists
- NY Academy of Sciences
- International Association for Aquatic Animal Medicine
- American Society of Ichthyologists & Herpetologists
- American Fisheries Society
- Microscopy Society of America
Country of Interest
I have long-standing connections to several countries. I have professionally visited Egypt 3 times and have had 7 graduate students from four Egyptian universities where I am a visiting professor. These have all been supported by their governments and have worked on a variety of anatomical topics, mostly in cardiovascular, digestive and reproductive systems.
I have visited Jordan to speak on the subject of the Internet as a teaching tool, and hosted about a dozen sabbatical visitors from these two countries. In 1998 I was a Fulbright Scholar in India, where I taught sensory physiology at Mangalore University. I have attended any number of international meetings, usually anatomy related, as a speaker, most recently in Sicily. I am trying to establish a course on wildlife biology that would be based in South Africa.
I'm the author of a very widely-used and extensive Internet teaching site in histology.
French and Italian, enough to order a meal, ask directions and use the Metro. I can read French reasonably well and can manage technical Italian with the aid of a dictionary.
I have a new graduate student coming from the Jordan University of Science & Technology who will be working on the subject of rodlet cells in fishes, later this year. I am currently working on the development of a web-based pathology site similar to the histology site.
- Hafez, S. A.-G., W.E. Huckle, T Caceci, and K. Panter. Developmental expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (vegf) and its receptors (flt-1 and kdr) in the reproductive organs of normal and swainsonine-treated pregnant goats. Submitted to Angiogenesis.
- Hafez, S. A.G., and T Caceci. Anatomical, histological, and genetic investigations of a sexually anomalous goat. Veterinary Record (In press)
- S.A. Hafez, T Caceci, B. J. Purswell, A. Garcia. An effective estrous synchronization protocol in sheep and goats. Small Ruminant Research (In press).
- A.H. K. Osman, S. Yuge, S. Hyodo, S. Sato, S. Maeda, H. Marie, T Caceci, N. Birukawa, A. Urano, K. Naruse, M. Naruse and Y. Takei. Molecular identification and immunohistochemical localization of atrial natriuretic peptide in the heart of the dromedary camel (Camelus dromedarius). Journal of Comparative Biochemistry & Physiology Part A 139:417-424.
- Odeh, A.I., J.J. Dascanio, T Caceci, J. Bowen, and L.E. Eng. 2003. Effect of platelet-activating factor (PAF) on stallion sperm motility, capacitation and the acrosome reaction. Reproduction 126: 605-613
- Ahmed, A.A., A.H.K. Osman, and T Caceci. 2000. Immunolcalization of relaxin in the corpus luteum of the dromedary camel (Camelus dromedarius). Kobe J. Med. Sci. 46: 245-263.
- Caceci, T. S.A. Smith, T.E. Toth, and R.B. Duncan. 1999. Identification of individual prawns with implanted microchip transponders. Aquaculture 180:41-51
- Tengjaroenkul, L.B., B.J. Smith, T Caceci, and S.A. Smith. Distribution of intestinal enzymes along the intestinal tract of the tilapian fish, Oreochromis niloticus. Aquaculture 182:317-327.
- Caceci, T., H. A. El-Habback, S.A. Smith, and B.J. Smith. 1997. The stomach of Oreochromis niloticus has three regions. J. Fish Biology 50:939-952.
- Caceci, T., C.B. Carlson, T.E. Toth, and S.A. Smith. 1996. In vivo embryogenesis of Macrobrachium rosenbergii following in vivo fertilization. Aquaculture 147:169-175.
- Holliday, S.D., S.A. Smith, H.A. El-Habback, and T Caceci. 1996. Immune alterations in Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) following low-level exposure to the organophosphate insecticide chlorpyriphos. Journal of Aquatic Animal Health 8:104-110.
- Smith, S.A., T Caceci, H.E.-S. Marei, H. El-Habback, and J.L. Robertson. 1995. Observations on rodlet cells found in the vascular system and extravascular space of angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare scalare). Journal of Fish Biology 46:241-254.
- Smith, S.A., T Caceci, and J.L. Robertson. 1995. Occurrence of rodlet cells in the vascular system of angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare scalare) associated with tissue pathology. Journal of Aquatic Animal Health 7:63-69.
- Caceci, T. 1993. Anonymous grading revisited: student reaction to a blinded grading system. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education 20:65-72.
- Codner, E.C., T Caceci, G.K. Saunders, C.A. Smith, J.L. Robertson, R.A. Martin, and G.C. Troy. 1992. Investigation of glomerular lesions in dogs with acute experimentally induced Ehrlichia canis infection. Amer. J. Vet. Res. 53:2286-2291.
- Osman, A.H.K., and T Caceci. 1991. Histology of the stomach of Tilapia nilotica Linnaeus, 1758 from the River Nile. J. Fish Biol. 38:211-223.
- Szumanski, M.B.W., T.E. Toth, and T Caceci. 1991. Ethanol precipitation to concentrate DNA excised from agarose gel. BioTechniques 9:708-710.
- Osman, A.H.K, and T Caceci. 1990. Ultrastructure of the coronary microvessels of the camel (Camelus dromedarius): morphological evidence for an endocrine function of the ventricular myocardium. Assiut Vet. Med. J. 24:26-39.
- Caceci, T., and T.C. Hrubec. 1990. Histology and ultrastructure of the digestive tract of the black mollie (Poecilia spp.) a hybrid teleost. J. Morphology 204:265-280.
- Caceci, T. 1989. Experience with a blinded grading system in first-year veterinary courses. J. Vet Med. Educ. 16:34-35.
- Caceci, T., and T.C. Hrubec. 1989. Ultrastructure of the digestive tube of the black mollie. Proc. E.M. Soc. Amer. 47:914-915.
- Arns, M.J., K.F. Neck, J.W. Evans, and T Caceci. 1988. Ultrastructural abnormalities in equine spermatozoa from a cryptorchid stallion. J. Equine Vet. Sci. 8:122-124.
- Bender, H.A., T Caceci, and H.P. Misra. 1988. An ultrastructural study of the effects of gossypol on the endometrium of the female rat. J. Ultrastruc. Molec. Struc. Res. 101:137-144.
- Caceci, T., T. Toth, H.R. Pyle, P.B. Siegel, and D. Ochs. 1988. Stimulation of non-opsonic phagocytosis in avian respiratory phagocytes. Proc. E.M. Soc. Amer. 46:140-141.
- Caceci, T., K.F. Neck, D.H. Lewis, and R.F. Sis. 1988. Ultrastructure of the hepatopancreas of the Pacific white shrimp, Penaeus vannamei. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. U.K. 68:323-337.
- Toth, T., R.H. Pyle, T Caceci, P.B. Siegel, and D. Ochs. 1988. Cellular defense of the avian respiratory system: influx and non-opsonic phagocytosis by Pasturella multocida activated respiratory phagocytes. Infec. Immun. 56:1171-1179.
- Wilson, J.M., T Caceci, G.D. Potter, and D.C. Kraemer. 1987. Ultrastructure of cryopreserved equine embryos. J. Reprod. Fertil. Suppl. 35:405-417.
- Caceci, T. and D.D. Varner. 1987. Microtubular defects and persistent cytoplasmic droplets in an infertile stallion. Southwestern Vet. 38:13-16.
- Caceci, T. and K.E. Frankum. 1987. Measurement of increased uptake of osmium tetroxide in skin and gelatin model "tissue" treated with tannic acid. J. Microscop. 147:109-115.
- Tiffany-Castiglioni, E., K.F. Neck, and T Caceci. 1986. Glial culture on artificial capillaries: electron microscopic comparisons of C6 rat glioma cells and rat astroglia. J. Neurosci. Res. 16:387-396.
- Caceci, T., A.A. Shaikh, and D.C. Kraemer. 1985. Ultrastructure of baboon zygotes prepared by microinjection of spermatozoa. Proc. E.M. Soc. Amer. 43: 650-651.
- Caceci, T. 1984. Scanning electron microscopy of goldfish (Carassius auratus) intestinal mucosa. J. Fish Biol. 25:1-12.
- Caceci, T. 1984. A gravimetric formula for Erlandson's Maraglas, D.E.R. 732 embedding medium. TSEM Journal 15:26-27.
- Caceci, T. and R.W. Wagner. 1983. An inexpensive oven for curing epoxy embedments. TSEM Journal 14:10-11.
- Caceci, T., J.M. Orenstein, and S. Bloom. 1982. Ruthenium red enhancement of surface complex components of isolated and in situ cardiac myocytes of Syrian hamsters. Proc. E.M. Soc. Amer. 40:134-135.
- Caceci, T., I. Brook, and A. Daniel. 1981. Quantitative nephelometric determination of Haemophilus influenzae antigen in body fluids. J. Clin. Microbiol. 13: 540-547.
- Caceci, T., J.M. Orenstein, and S. Bloom. 1981. Surface cables of vertebrate muscle cells. Scanning Elec. Microscop. 3:115-123.
- Caceci, T., and G.B. Chapman. 1980. Cellular damage due to Toxaphene insecticide. Proc. E.M. Soc. Amer. 38:436-437.
- Caceci, T., T.E. Toth, and M.B.W. Szumanski. United States Patent #5,925,549. Synthetic Antifreeze Peptide And Synthetic Gene Coding For Its Production. July 20, 1999.
- Caceci, T., T.E. Toth, and M.B.W. Szumanski. United States Patent #5,932,697. Synthetic Antifreeze Peptide. August 3, 1999.