Jennifer G. Barrett, DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVS, Diplomate ACVSMR
Theodora Ayer Randolph Professor of Equine Surgery
Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences
2002Doctor of Veterinary MedicineCornell UniversityIthaca, NY
1999Doctor of Philosophy, Molecular Cellular and Developmental BiologyYale UniversityNew Haven, CT
1994Master of Science / Master of Philosophy, BiologyYale UniversityNew Haven, CT
1991Bachelor of Arts, BiologyDartmouth CollegeHanover, NH
2013American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation: Equine Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation
2008American College of Veterinary Surgeons: Large Animal Surgery
Areas of Speciality
- Diagnostic imaging
- Orthopedic surgery
- Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Tendon, ligament, and cartilage healing
- Stem cell and platelet rich plasma therapies
- Tissue regeneration
2014–presentTheodora Ayer Randolph Professor of Equine Surgery (2014-present)Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical CenterDepartment of Large Animal Clinical SciencesVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechLeesburg, VA
2013–presentAssociate Professor of Equine SurgeryMarion duPont Scott Equine Medical CenterDepartment of Large Animal Clinical SciencesVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechLeesburg, VA
2013–presentAffiliate Assistant ProfessorBioengineering DepartmentVolgenau School of EngineeringGeorge Mason UniversityFairfax, VA
2011–presentAdjunct Assistant ProfessorWake Forest Institute for Regenerative MedicineWake Forest UniversityWinston-Salem, NC
2007–2013Assistant Professor of Equine SurgeryMarion duPont Scott Equine Medical CenterDepartment of Large Animal Clinical SciencesVirginia-Maryland College of Veterinary MedicineVirginia TechLeesburg, VA
2004–2007Equine Surgery Resident /Postdoctoral Research AssistantAllison A. Stewart, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVS, MentorVeterinary Teaching HospitalUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-ChampaignUrbana, IL
2003–2004Postdoctoral Research AssociateComparative Orthopaedics Research LaboratoryPeter Muir, BVSc, PhD, Diplomate ACVS — DirectorUniversity of Wisconsin-MadisonSchool of Veterinary MedicineMadison, WI
2002–2003Intern, Equine Medicine and SurgeryRood and Riddle Equine HospitalLexington, KY
1999–2001Postdoctoral Research Assistant (Part-time and summers)Comparative Orthopaedics LaboratoryAlan J. Nixon, BVSc, MS, Diplomate ACVS — DirectorCornell University College of Veterinary MedicineIthaca, NY
Honors & Awards
2015–2017Clinical Research Award, Loan Repayment Program National Institutes of Health
2015–presentTheodora Ayer Randolph Professorship in Equine Surgery, Virginia Tech
2015–2015Clinical Research Award, Loan Repayment Program National Institutes of Health
2010Virginia Tech Scholar of the Week
2007Mark S. Bloomberg Memorial Resident Research Award Veterinary Orthopedic Society Conference
2006American Association of Equine Practitioners Foundation Research Fellow Scholarship
2006American College of Veterinary Surgeons Veterinary Symposium Resident Poster Award, First Place
2005American College of Veterinary Surgeons Veterinary Symposium Resident Research Presentation Award, First Place
2005Phi Zeta Research Award, University of Illinois
- North American Veterinary Regenerative Medicine Society, Director
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation
- International Society of Stem Cell Research
- Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society, Musculoskeletal TWiG
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Association of Equine Practitioners
- Veterinary Orthopedic Society
- Phi Zeta Honor Society
- Youngstrom DW, LaDow JE, Barrett JG. Engineering tendon: Scaffolds, bioreactors and models of regeneration. Review Article, Stem Cells International, in press.
- Guo Z, DeVita R, Freeman JG, Barrett JG. Determination of damage criteria in medial collateral ligaments. ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, in press.
- Freeman KD, Barrett JG, Youngstrom DW, White NA. Microangiographic comparison of the effects of three-loop pulley and six-strand Savage tenorrhaphy techniques on the equine superficial digital flexor tendon. Veterinary Surgery, in press.
- Youngstrom DW, Rajpar I, Kaplan DL, Barrett JG. A bioreactor system for in vitro tendon differentiation and tendon tissue engineering. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, ePub ahead of print, Feb 9, 2015. doi: 10.1002/jor.22848.
- Lamb MM, Barrett JG, White NA, Werre SR. Accuracy of low-field magnetic resonance imaging versus radiography for guiding injection of equine distal interphalangeal joint collateral ligaments. Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasonography. 55(2):174–181, 2014. doi: 10.1111/vru.12109
- Youngstrom DW, Barrett JG, Jose RR, Kaplan DL. Functional characterization of detergent- decellularized equine tendon extracellular matrix for tissue engineering applications. PLOS ONE. 8(5): e64151, 2013. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0064151
- Krista KM, White NA, Barrett JG, Furr MO, Buechner-Maxwell VA. Evaluation of neutrophil apoptosis in horses with acute abdominal disease. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 74(7):999-1004, 2013. doi: 10.2460/ajvr.74.7.999.
- Frellstedt L, McKenzie HC, Barrett JG, Furr MO. Induction and characterization of endotoxin tolerance in equine peripheral blood mononuclear cells in vitro. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology. 149: 97-102, 2012. doi: 10.1016/j.vetimm.2012.05.012
- Hart SK, Barrett JG, Brown JA, Papich M, Powers B, Sullins KE. Elution of antimicrobials from a cross-linked dextran gel: in vivo quantification. Equine Veterinary Journal. 45(2):148-153, 2013. doi: 10.1111/j.2042-3306.2012.00633.x.
- Everett E, Barrett JG, Morelli J, DeVita R. Biomechanical Testing of a Novel Suture Pattern for Repair of Equine Tendon Lacerations. Veterinary Surgery. 41(2):278–285, 2012. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-950X.2011.00905.x.