IT Support Requests
Methods for Requesting IT Support
The IT Support Center is open Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm. You can reach us using any of the following methods. We are closed on University holidays.
- VetMed IT Helpdesk Portal
This web-based platform
for submitting IT requests is available via the shortcut icon (shown at right) on all Windows computers on the VETMED domain. MAC
users should contact the IT Support Center for assistance in creating a shortcut to the Portal page.
- Email: email@example.com
Submit a request to the IT Support Center by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use a short and
descriptive subject line for the email and concise details in the body of the message.
- Phone: 540-231-2791
Call 540-231-2791 from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday, to reach the IT Support Center. If your reach our voicemail, please leave a message
with your name, phone number, and a brief description of the problem.
- IT Support Center Office
welcome at the IT Support Center during normal operating hours. Our office is located in the Infectious Disease Research Facility (IDRF)
on the first floor. On occasion, all technicians may be out on service calls. In this case, the emergency number is posted on the door.
What Constitutes an IT Request?
As a general rule, IT Support Center service is available for inquiries and problems dealing with electronic devices
that have a processor, a digital display, or somehow connect to a computer. Examples of supported items and systems include:
- State-owned electronic equipment (desktop/laptop computers, cell phones, printers, monitors, etc.)
- Classroom audio/visual equipment (televisions, projectors, etc.)
- Work-related software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, CGI/VISION, Internet browsers, etc.)
- VetMed Intranet update requests and issues
- VetMed SharePoint issues
- VetMed network infrastructure (VETMED2 file server, network connections, PACS imaging server, etc.)
What Does Not Constitute an IT Request?
The list below contains some examples of requests that are often mistaken as IT requests but
actually fall under the responsibility of another department:
- Equipment/devices not owned by the State (i.e. personally owned or owned by other organizations)
- Electrical power, lighting or HVAC systems - please contact Virginia Tech
Facilities at 540-231-4283.
- Classroom materials - please contact the Multidiscipline Laboratory (MDL) Office at 540-231-7881.
- Conference room materials - please contact the administrative contact(s) for the particular room.
- VA-MD Vet Med website content updates - please direct requests to Jesse Janowiak.
NOTE: For problems connecting to or accessing the VA-MD Vet Med public website, you may still contact
the IT Support Center via one of the methods listed above.
- When you submit an IT Support Center request via email@example.com, a ticket is automatically
created for your request. Anytime an IT Support Technician updates the ticket, you will receive an email notification. The ticketing system
is designed so that any replies you send to these emails will be automatically appended to the
ticket in our system. Once the ticket has been closed, any replies you send will re-open the
ticket and notify the previously assigned technician. As such, it is not necessary to reply
with a "Thank you!" message once a ticket is closed, even though we most certainly appreciate
- While it may seem convenient to stop an Information Systems or IT Support Center employee in the
hallway to make a request, we ask that you refrain from doing so. It is often the case that the
staff member you are talking to is already working on several support calls which makes it
difficult to remember all the exact details of your request. In these situations we ask that you
use the in-person meeting to remind yourself to submit the request through one of the suggested
methods above which helps the IT Support Center to document all the relevant information needed
to complete the ticket.
If you have any questions about the information presented on this page, please feel free to contact
the IT Support Center.