Martin O. Furr, DVM, Ph.D., Diplomate ACVIM
Professor and Adelaide C. Riggs Chair in
Dr. Furr is the Professor and Adelaide C. Riggs Chair in Equine Medicine at Virginia Tech’s Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center. He received a doctor of veterinary medicine in 1986 from Oklahoma State University and a doctor of philosophy from the University of Maryland (College Park) in 2000. Dr. Furr conducted a residency in large animal internal medicine at the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center from 1987 to 1989. He worked as an associate veterinarian at the Niles Animal Clinic in Konawa, Oklahoma, from 1986 to 1987 and as an assistant professor at the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine from 1989 to 1991. Dr. Furr served as an assistant professor of medicine at the Equine Medical Center from 1991 to 1995 and as an associate professor of medicine from 1995 to 2007. He was promoted to full professor in June 2007. In 2002, Dr. Furr was named acting chief of medicine at the center, and, in 2004, he was selected as the Adelaide Riggs Chair of Internal Medicine. Dr. Furr achieved Diplomate status through the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine in 1991. His research interests include equine neurology, immunology and neonatology. He is a member of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, the American Society of Veterinary Perinatology, the American Veterinary Medical Association, and the Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis Society.
- Rohrbach B.W., Buchanan B.R., Drake J.M., Andrews F.M., Bain F.T., Byars D.T., Bernard W.V., Furr M.O., Paradis M.R., Lawler J., Gigučre S., Dunkel B., Use of a Multivariable Model to Estimate the Probability of Discharge in Hospitalized Foals That are 7 Days of Age or Less, Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Jun-06.
- Steffanus D., Promising New Methods for the Diagnosis of EPM, Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred, Feb-06.
- Furr M.O., McKenzie H.C., Savillle W.J.A., Dubey J.P., Reed S.M., Davis W., Prophylactic Administration of Ponazuril Reduces Clinical Signs and Delays Seroconversion in Horses Challenged with Sarcocystis Neurona, American Society of Parasitologists, 2006.
- Pantaleon L.G., Furr M.O., McKenzie H.C., Donaldson L., Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Effects of Hetastarch
Plus Hypertonic Saline Solutions During Experimental Endotoxemia in Anesthetized Horses, Journal of
Veterinary Internal Medicine, 2006.
(View PDF) Abstract Only - Interested readers can purchase the full text of this article online at http://www.jvetintmed.org/.
- Adam-Castrillo D., White N.A., Donaldson L.L., Furr M.O., Pantaleon Effects of Injection of Botulinum Toxin Type B into the External Anal Sphincter on Anal Pressure of Horses, American Journal of Veterinary Research, 2004, Volume 65, Pages 26-30.
- Hepburn R.J., Furr M.O. Sinonasal Adenocarcinoma Causing Central Nervous System Disease in a Horse, Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 2004.
- McKenzie H.C. and Furr M.O., Aminoglycoside Antibiotics in Neonatal Foals, Compendium: Equine
Edition Vol. 25 No. 6 June 2003.
- Corley K.T.T., Donaldson L.L. and Furr M.O., Comparison of Lithium Dilution and Thermodilution Cardiac Output Measurements in Anaesthetised Neonatal Foals, Equine Veterinary Journal, 2002, Volume 34, Pages 598-601.
- Furr M.O., MacKay R., Granstrom D., Schott H., Andrews F., Clinical Diagnosis of Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis, Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 2002.
- Furr M.O., Antigen-Specific Antibodies in Cerebrospinal Fluid After Intramuscular Injection of
Ovalbumin in Horses, Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 2002.
(View PDF) Abstract Only - Interested readers can purchase the full text of this article online at http://www.jvetintmed.org.
- Lacombe V.A., Podell M., Furr M.O., Reed S.M., Oglesbee M.J., Hinchcliff K.W., Kohn C.W.,
Diagnostic Validity of Electroencephalography in Equine Intracranial Disorders,Journal of
Veterinary Internal Medicine, 2001.
(View PDF) Abstract Only - Interested readers can purchase the full text of this article online at http://www.jvetintmed.org/
- McKenzie H.C. and Furr M.O., Equine Neonatal Sepsis: The Pathophysiology of Severe Inflammation and Infection, Compendium: Equine Edition Vol. 23 No. 7 July 2001. (View PDF)
- Furr M.O., Murray M.J. and Ferguson D.C., The Effects of Stress on Gastric Ulceration, T3, T4, Reverse T3 and Cortisol in Neonatal Foals, Equine Veterinary Journal, 1992, Volume 24, Pages 37-40.
- Furr M.O. and Murray M.J., Treatment of Gastric Ulcers in Horses with Histamine Type 2 Receptor Antagonists, Equine Veterinary Journal, 1989, Volume 7, Pages 77-79.