Eye Diseases and Treatment
EMC faculty members have extensive experience providing medical and surgical treatments to horses with eye disorders. Surgical repair of traumatic injuries, control of infection via treatment catheters, and laser removal of tumors are just a few examples of commonly treated conditions.
The EMC also offers the services of board certified ophthalmologists, by appointment, for specialized surgical treatment of ophthalmic disorders including cataracts, intraocular surgery, or implants for recurrent uveitis. Working together, we are able to provide the most advanced care for horses with eye disease.
Click on a thumbnail image to view a larger image.
Eye problems often constitute an emergency, and the EMC is a full service hospital with emergency and critical care services. Commonly seen eye problems include:
- Developmental disorders such as congenital cataracts
- Ulcers of the cornea
- Traumatic injury
- Recurrent uveitis
Each condition requires a different treatment approach, but a common feature of eye disease is that it requires prompt and vigorous care to best protect the horse’s long-term vision.
To learn more about equine eye disorders and diseases, these articles will explain the subject in more detail:
- Specialized eye care for horses available at Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center
- Equine recurrent uveitis: A clinical manifestation of leptospirosis by Dr. Linda Frellstedt
- Equine Corneal Diseases (Part 1) (PDF) by Dr. Gwendolyn Lynch
- Equine Corneal Diseases (Part 2) (PDF) by Dr. Gwendolyn Lynch
Eye care appointments
- For an appointment or for more information, call (703) 771-6800 or email email@example.com.
- Eye examinations are performed by appointment and arrangements can be made for a board certified veterinary ophthalmologist to examine, evaluate, or even treat the horse.
- View the Client Care Packet (PDF) to learn more about the facilities, services, staffing, and policies at the EMC.
The following faculty have extensive experience in diagnosing and treating eye disorders and diseases.