Horse Health Information
The Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center’s faculty and staff strive to provide new knowledge for the well-being of the horse and for the economic benefit of the equine industry. Following are selected publications written by, or featuring, the center’s faculty members:
Jennifer G. Barrett, DVM, Ph.D., Diplomate ACVS
Assistant Professor of Equine Surgery
- Effect of Short-Term Treatment with Alendronate on Ulnar Bone Adaptation to Cyclic Fatigue Loading in Rats – Barrett, J.G., Sample S., Prokuski L., Benz-Dean J., Muir P., Effect of Short-Term Treatment with Alendronate on Ulnar Bone Adaptation to Cyclic Fatigue Loading in Rats, Journal of Orthopaedic Research, Manuscript in press.
- Effect of Fatigue Loading and Associated Matrix Microdamage on Bone Blood Flow and Interstitial Fluid Flow – Muir P., Sample S.J., Barrett J.G., McCarthy J., Vanderby R., Markel M.D., Prokuski L.J., Kalscheur V.L., Bone, Volume 40, Pages 948-56, 2007.
- Inflammatory Changes in Ruptured Canine Cranial and Human Anterior Cruciate Ligaments – Barrett J.G., Manley P.A., Colopy S.A., Hao Z., Graf B.K., Muir P., American Journal of Veterinary Research, Volume 66, Pages 2073-2080, 2005.
- Up-regulation of Site-Specific Remodeling without Accumulation of Microcracking and Loss of Oosteocytes – Da Costa Gomez T.M., Barrett J.G., Sample S.J., Radtke C.L., Kalscheur V.L., Lu Y., Markel M.D., Santschi E.M., Scollay M.C., Muir P., Bone, Volume 37, Pages 16-24, 2005.
Anne Desrochers, DMV, Diplomate ACVIM
Clinical Assistant Professor in Equine Medicine
Read Dr. Desrochers’ article, “Your Horse’s Health: Diagnosing Equine Cardiovascular Disease” (PDF). Republished by permission from The Middleburg Eccentric.
- Efficacy of Saccharomyces Boulardii for Treatment of Horses with Acute Enterocolitis – Desrochers A.M., Dolente B.A., Roy M.F., Boston R., Carlisle S., Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Sep-05.
- Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Connection in a Foal – Seco Diaz O., Desrochers A.M., Hoffmann V., Reef V.B., Veterinary Radiology & Ultrasound, 2005 Jan-Feb, Volume 46, Pages 83-5.
Martin O. Furr, DVM, Ph.D., Diplomate ACVIM
Professor and Adelaide C. Riggs Chair in Equine Medicine
- Use of a Multivariable Model to Estimate the Probability of Discharge in Hospitalized Foals That are 7 Days of Age or Less – Rohrbach B.W., Buchanan B.R., Drake J.M., Andrews F.M., Bain F.T., Byars D.T., Bernard W.V., Furr M.O., Paradis M.R., Lawler J., Gigučre S., Dunkel B., Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Jun-06.
- Promising New Methods for the Diagnosis of EPM – Steffanus D., Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred, Feb-06.
- Prophylactic Administration of Ponazuril Reduces Clinical Signs and Delays Seroconversion in Horses Challenged with Sarcocystis Neurona – Furr M.O., McKenzie H.C., Savillle W.J.A., Dubey J.P., Reed S.M., Davis W., American Society of Parasitologists, 2006.
- Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Effects of Hetastarch Plus Hypertonic Saline Solutions During Experimental Endotoxemia in Anesthetized Horses – Pantaleon L.G., Furr M.O., McKenzie H.C., Donaldson L., Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 2006. (View PDF) Abstract Only — Interested readers can purchase the full text of this article online at http://www.jvetintmed.org/.
Kenneth E. Sullins, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVS
Professor of Equine Surgery
- Use of Cisplatin-Containing Biodegradable Beads for Treatment of Cutaneous Neoplasia in Equidae: 59 Cases (2000-2004) – Hewes C.A., Sullins K.E., Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Nov-06.
- Effects of Unilateral Laser-Assisted Ventriculocordectomy in Horses with Laryngeal Hemiplegia – Derksen R.P., Stick J., Sullins K., Equine Veterinary Journal, 2006, Volume 38, Pages 491-496.
- Endoscopically Guided Thermocautery and Laser Removal of an Inflammatory Polyp Associated with Chronic Otitis Externa in a Pony – Sullins K., Equine Veterinary Education, 2006, Volume 8, Pages 330-332.
Nathaniel A. White II, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVS
Professor of Equine Surgery
- Effects of Carolina rinse solution, dimethyl sulfoxide, and the 21-aminosteroid, U-74389G – on microvascular permeability and morphology of the equine jejunum after low-flow ischemia andreperfusion, RM Dabareiner; NA White, JR Snyder; BF Feldman, LLDonaldson, Am J Vet Res 2005: 66: 525-532.
- Use of Web-based data collection to evaluate analgesic administration and the decision for surgery in horses with colic – NA White, A Elward, KS Moga, DL Ward, DM Sampson. Equine Vet J, 2005;37: 347-350.
- Equine Laminits – NA White, Proceedings Waltham Seminar, Washington DC, August 2005.
- What a difference MRI Makes – NA White, NM Werpy Compend for Cont. Ed, 2005;27:12-22.
- Surgical Decision Making: Response to Pain – NA White, Proceedings ACVS Veterinary Symposium, 2005; pp 48.
- Treatment of equine suspensory desmitis with suspensory ligament desmoplasty: 1995-2004 – CE Hewes, NA. White, JAVMA November 2005.
- Epidemiology of Colic (PDF), AAEP Focus Meeting, Quebec City, Quebec, July 2005.
To view the most recent press releases from the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center, visit the News/Media page.
Following are links to sites that contain the latest horse health information:
Please Note: The Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center does not maintain these sites and is not responsible for the content contained therein.