Diversity & Inclusion
The Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine (VA-MD Vet Med) is committed
to diversity and to fostering an inclusive environment to promote learning and growth
for all members of our community.
Programs & Initiatives
- Our community is committed to practicing and upholding the
Virginia Tech Principles of
- Services for Students with Disabilities assists students with disabilities and personal and environmental issues that may interfere with full access to academics and/or hinder academic performance.
- Our chapter of Veterinary Students as One In Culture and Ethnicity (VOICE) is a student-run organization that promotes the sociocultural awareness of veterinary students on a local and national level through diversity-themed programs, events, and community outreach.
- We create a more welcoming and inclusive environment for LGBTQ students by participating in the SafeZone program.
- Through participation in the DiVersity
Matters initiative of the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC), we passionately engage in the recruitment,
enrollment, matriculation, and development of a diverse student body.
- For more information about university diversity resourses, please visit the
Diversity at Virginia Tech webpage.
Advisory Committee on Diversity
Members of the college's Advisory Committee on Diversity are appointed by the Dean in consultation with
department heads. The committee:
- Makes recommendations to the College Executive Board on methods to improve the climate within the college and
enhance recruitment of students, staff, and faculty from under-represented groups
- Organizes and carries out the MAOP Summer Research Internship Program each year
For more information about the Advisory Committee on Diversity or diversity initiatives at the VA-MD Vet Med,
Dr. Ed Monroe
Professor of Internal Medicine, Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences
Chair, VA-MD Vet Med Advisory Committee on Diversity