Our Commitment to Diversity
The Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine (VA-MD Vet Med) is committed
to diversity and to fostering an inclusive environment to promote learning and growth
for all members of our community.
Programs & Initiatives
- The VA-MD Vet Med community is committed to practicing the
Virginia Tech Principles of
- The college provides academic guidance and financial support for four to six participants
in the Multicultural Academic Opportunities Program (MAOP)
through the MAOP Summer Research Internship (SRI) Program for Undergraduate Students.
- The college is committed to building an educational infrastructure that supports the recruitment,
enrollment, matriculation, and development of a wider range of ethnic and racial minorities in academic
veterinary medicine through participation in the
Matters initiative of the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC).
- For more information about university diversity resourses, please visit the
Diversity at Virginia Tech webpage.
Advisory Committee on Diversity
Members of the college's Advisory Committee on Diversity are appointed by the Dean in consultation with
department heads. The committee:
- Makes recommendations to the College Executive Board on methods to improve the climate within the college and
enhance recruitment of students, staff, and faculty from under-represented groups
- Organizes and carries out the MAOP Summer Research Internship Program each year
- Has oversight of the student ambassador program
For more information about the Advisory Committee on Diversity or diversity initiatives at the VA-MD Vet Med,
Dr. Ed Monroe
Professor of Internal Medicine, Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences
Chair, VA-MD Vet Med Advisory Committee on Diversity