Saturday, April 21, 2018
About the Memorial 5K
The eleventh annual Bob Duncan Memorial 5K will be held on Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 5pm on the Virginia Tech cross country course to honor Bob Duncan, a beloved professor who passed away in May of 2007.
All profits from the race benefit the Bob Duncan Memorial Diagnostic Veterinary Pathology Scholarship which awards a fourth-year veterinary student for a commitment and zeal for diagnostic veterinary pathology.
Participants with dogs
- Leashed dogs are welcome for the run/walk. All canine participants must be registered in advance using the dog waiver formand proof of current rabies vaccination. Form, waiver, and vaccination proof must be received by Friday, April 20.
Participants without dogs
- Register online
- Download and complete the registration form. The form must be received by Friday, April 20.
- Register on-site on April 21 beginning at 3:30 pm.
- Walkers, runners, and leashed dogs are welcome!
- Packet pick-up/registration begins at 3:30 p.m. on race day at the Virginia Tech Cross Country Course.
- The race will begin at 5 p.m.
- General public: $20 if received by 4/20/18, $30 on race day
- Blacksburg Striders members: $19 if received by 4/20/18, $29 on race day
- College students: $15 if received by 4/20/18, $25 on race day
- Additional donations to the scholarship fund are welcome.
Help us advertise the event using our event flyer.
For more information about the Memorial 5K event, please contact Frances Fan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In Memory of Bob Duncan
Dr. Bob Duncan was an associate professor in the Department of Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology and a member of the VA-MD Vet Med community. He joined the faculty of VA-MD Vet Med at Virginia Tech in 1996, where he spent 11 years teaching veterinary pathology in the DVM professional program, clinical residency, and graduate degree programs in the biomedical and veterinary sciences. Bob also worked in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital’s Necropsy Service, where he characterized the disease states and injuries that led to patient mortality, and the Biopsy Service, where tissue specimens and other samples were used to diagnose disease.
Bob had a great enthusiasm for the outdoors. He was an avid hunter, fisherman, and cyclist. At the local level, he was a competitive runner who was always ready for the next challenge or race, whether it be a half marathon or relay race for charity.
Memorial 5K Results
- 2016: $1,450 raised, view race results
- 2015: $1,807 raised, view race results
- 2014: $1,995 raised, view race results
- 2013: $3,793 raised, view race results
- 2012: $2,980 raised, view race results
- 2011: $2,280 raised, view race results
- 2010: $3,700 raised, view race results
- 2009: $2,200 raised, view race results
Giving to the Memorial Scholarship Fund
Donations can be made directly to the Bob Duncan Memorial Diagnostic Veterinary Pathology Scholarship Fund by following these steps:
- Make check payable to “VA Tech Foundation, Inc.” and include “Bob Duncan Memorial” on the check memo line.
- Send check to:
Dr. Tanya LeRoith132 IDRFDuck Pond Drive (0442)Blacksburg, VA 24061
For more information about giving to the Bob Duncan Memorial Scholarship Fund, please call 540-231-4716.