Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship
Internships are designed to provide one year of intense, post-DVM, clinical training in small animal medicine and surgery.
Small Animal Residencies
Residencies are designed to provide 3-4 years of advanced, in-depth training in specific disciplines in preparation for certification examination by appropriate specialty boards within the veterinary profession. Most residents will enroll in the Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences (BMVS) Graduate Program and complete a graduate degree (MS or PhD).
The Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences has a single, generic residency program description that sets forth a basic program description. Supplemental to the generic document, each discipline provides a specific program description unique to that discipline.
Discipline-Specific Program Descriptions and Contact Information
The following program descriptions are provided in PDF format.
- Anesthesia - Dr. Natalia Henao-Guerrero, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cardiology - Dr. Sunshine Lahmers, email@example.com
- Neurology - Dr. John Rossmeisl, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Oncology - Dr. Shawna Klahn, email@example.com
- Ophthalmology - Dr. Ian Herring, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Radiology - Dr. Martha Larson,
For more information, please visit our Radiology Resident Training Program webpage.
- Small Animal Internal Medicine - Dr. David Grant, email@example.com
- Small Animal Surgery - Dr. Otto Lanz, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Theriogenology - Dr. Julie Cecere, email@example.com
- ABVP Residency in Canine/Feline Specialty - Dr. Lara Bartl, firstname.lastname@example.org
Interns and residents in the Department participate twice yearly in a Departmental Intern/Resident Seminar Program that is designed to provide experience and instruction in the preparation and delivery of scientific material to a peer audience. Residents are further encouraged to make presentations at various seminars and scientific meetings, both internally and externally.
Questions about the Matching Program?
Please visit the website for the Veterinary Internship and Residency Matching Program, sponsored by the American Association of Veterinary Clinicians, to learn more about the matching process.