Paws for a Cause
The Paws for a Cause program incorporates Animal Assisted Activities (AAA) into the following programs
- VT Helping PAWS (Pet Assisted Wellness Service) - A training and certification program for pets of veterinary faculty, staff, and students to enable AAA community visits. Learn more
- PAWS to Read - Activities include:
- A monthly kids' reading program at the Blacksburg Library that utilizes AAA dogs to provide a "sounding board" for children learning to read.
- Visits to schools in the Montgomery County region by our certified therapy teams and literacy tutors from the Virginia Tech Community Literacy Corps.
- Puppy Raiser Program - A collaborative effort between VA-MD Vet Med and Saint Francis Service Dogs to provide student-faculty teams to raise puppies as potential future service dogs.
Caring for Canine Heroes
There are more than 200 working canines in law enforcement and search and rescue, and a significant number of service dogs throughout the New River Valley and Potomac region.
CENTAUR is committed to serving our four-footed heroes through clinical care of working and service dogs and training of handlers and veterinary personnel who work with them.