Graduate Studies in Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences
Our programs of study—courses, laboratory and field research, clinical experience, and teaching
opportunities—are flexible and tailored to meet individual students' needs, depending on academic
background, professional experience, and career goals.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Requires 90 credit hours of course work, research, and dissertation
- Average completion time of four years
- Admission to the PhD program does not require an MS degree.
- The DVM/PhD dual degree program can be completed in as little as six years and
allows graduates to pursue research opportunities in both biomedical and clinical sciences.
Master of Science (MS)
- Requires 30 credit hours of course work, research, and thesis
- Average completion time of two years (three years for clinical sciences specialties)
Major Areas of Research Investigation
Learn more about our Research Program.
Need more information?
Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine
Office of Research & Graduate Studies
Virginia Tech (0442)
Blacksburg, VA 24061