Annual Open House
Saturday, April 6, 2013, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
The Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical
Association (SCAVMA) hosts the Annual Open House in the
spring each year. The event features a variety of exhibits, demonstrations, seminars, and public tours of the
Veterinary Teaching Hospital.
The purpose of the Open House is to showcase the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine,
provide information about the veterinary profession and careers in veterinary medicine, celebrate the role of
animals in people's lives, and provide fun and entertainment for the community.
The Open House is free and open to the public. No registration is required. Attendees are encouraged to bring a donation of dog food
or dog toys to benefit local shelter dogs.
Schedule & Directions
- Hospital tours - Tours last approximately one hour and include the hospital and the DVM
student teaching facilities.
- Teddy bear surgery clinic - Members of the Class of 2013 can repair your favorite stuffed animal.
- Anatomy display - Members of the Class of 2015 display skeletons and other specimens, including a painted horse
located outside the anatomy room.
- Radiology display - Members of the Class of 2014 show some of the most interesting radiographs taken at the hospital.
- Club and organization displays - Learn about our veterinary student clubs and organizations and purchase merchandise.
- Lectures - Learn about how to prepare a competitive application to veterinary school, how the horse's gut anatomy
predisposes them to colic, diagnosing and treating brain cancer, opportunities in the field of Food Animal Medicine, and more.
- Demonstrations - Get a closer look at police dogs, service dogs, horseshoeing, small animal endoscopy and ultrasound,
clinical pathology, electron microscopy, animal autopsy, and more.
- Silent auction - Winners announced at 2:15.